Raised a single duck with female chickens; found out he's a drake!

I got them a few hours away in another state so I doubt they few back home but maybe... Unfortunately I got her last two females as I've been looking for a female mallard for a little while now (closest I found was the person I got them from). I guess I could buy another kind of duck... Unfortuneately I'm a single mom with a little boy of my own and I work 50 hour weeks so traveling any farther is not an option. Also last time I had birds shipped only two of the 8 survived the the trip so I don't want to do that either. Ugh hopefully I will get another duck before he starts mating. If I clip their feathers will they grow back? I have a 2 acre pond but its about 5 acres from my house through the woods (full of protected falcons) so the clipped ducks wont be able to safely follow my other duck down to the pond (that's where he spends his days)
A flying duck is as big a risk of being picked off as one waddling. Wing feathers grow back each season with molt. I'm amazed your other duck hasn't been picked off yet. Falcons swoop in for the kill whether the prey is flying or walking. On youtube you can watch [if your stomach can take it ] a falcon taking down a Canada goose. I bet your new ducks have found a pond close by. What state are you in I know someone in Maine that has mallards.

Last edited:
I guess your totally right. Actually he has had a close call a few times but seems to be holding his own. If he's not in the water he stays close to the house. I debated keeping them all penned up but I feel like he would rather be free and have a short life than have a long boring life in a pen. I live in Michigan. Thanks for your help with my situation by the way! Other than working at a natuer center with wild animals for five years I have no experience, until recently, with chikens and pet ducks. I'm learning a lot and altough its alot of work I luv having them
love.gif

I guess your totally right. Actually he has had a close call a few times but seems to be holding his own. If he's not in the water he stays close to the house. I debated keeping them all penned up but I feel like he would rather be free and have a short life than have a long boring life in a pen. I live in Michigan. Thanks for your help with my situation by the way! Other than working at a natuer center with wild animals for five years I have no experience, until recently, with chikens and pet ducks. I'm learning a lot and altough its alot of work I luv having them
love.gif
It is hard work but having the opportunity of getting to know them and they each have their own personality it's a joy for sure. And to be able to work at a Nature center with animals wow you have the best of both worlds. I know someone in Michigan with ducks too but not mallards. I can give her this thread and ya'll can talk. I know Michigan is a big state but you never know.
smile.png
Mine free range and there is always that nagging thought of what if one gets taken, I have lost a few chickens but never a duck yet or goose, I am very thankful of it too.

In Canton. I actually contacted someone on craigslist last night and will be getting 3 (2 female and 1 male rouen ducklings) I thought it would be better if I raised them and then they would be more likely to stick around. I was going to keep them in a cage next to my current duck so they can get used to eachothers company and then later introduce them when they ar grown. We are interested in getting more chickens at some point...

In Canton. I actually contacted someone on craigslist last night and will be getting 3 (2 female and 1 male rouen ducklings) I thought it would be better if I raised them and then they would be more likely to stick around. I was going to keep them in a cage next to my current duck so they can get used to eachothers company and then later introduce them when they ar grown. We are interested in getting more chickens at some point...
Well one nice thing about getting Rouens is they are not going to be flying off as easily as Mallards they get pretty heavy. Congrats on finding some so quick. Please post pics when you get them!!

Last edited:
In Canton.  I actually contacted someone on craigslist last night and will be getting 3 (2 female and 1 male rouen ducklings)  I thought it would be better if I raised them and then they would be more likely to stick around.  I was going to keep them in a cage next to my current duck so they can get used to eachothers company and then later introduce them when they ar grown. We are interested in getting more chickens at some point...

You're a ways away from me, but if you go over to the "Where Am I? Where Are You?" area in the Social section of the Forum, you will find people over there who are closer to you. I think I saw someone had 2 KCs this morn. (If the Rouens don't work out. But I'm sure they will!)

Yep! two weeks old so they are in the house under a lamp for now but they're adorable and really friendly so hopefully once I introduce them (i'll wait until they are older) they will work out great
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom