Raised in confinment and doesn't know how to chicken.

Hannahnic14

Crowing
Apr 29, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I got my sweet Taco a few days ago and I've noticed that she just hangs out in the coop alot.🤔 I have her and a few other small silkies in a coop of their own in my bantam run. (That way they don't get fought away from the food since they are alot younger than my main flock)

I let them eat in the mornings, then open their little run area so they can socialize with the others and eat bugs and things. She will go out for a little bit, but prefer to just lay in the enclosed run part of the coop.🤷‍♀️

When I bought her it looked like her and several others were in a similar coop and not really allowed to run free. The lady had a tiny yard and her 4 silkie roosters ran free around the yard.

No signs of illness,(I've checked her over many times) poop looks good, eating and drinking, not getting picked on. She snuggles with my other silkie babies. She just doesn't act very chicken-like. She doesn't really want to hunt for bugs or run around the yard. Is this typical behavior for a bird raised in confinement?

(Picture for cuteness! 😍)

Attachments

• 20210903_161124.jpg
    20210903_161124.jpg
    658.9 KB · Views: 19
So was she confined to a coop only or was there a run? Mine don't free range but they do hang out in the run and do "bird" stuff.
This is the small coop I have, the one she was in was similar but quite a bit smaller. I guess I'm just used to my other birds exploring alot more. Maybe shes still adjusting?

Attachments

• 1485300.jpeg
    1485300.jpeg
    35.1 KB · Views: 8
Is she old enough to be molting? Doesn't look like she's molting from the photo, just curious. One of my hens refuses to come out of the henhouse because of the amount of embarrassment. Mostly kidding. 😅 Apparently they feel vulnerable when they molt so they prefer to stay indoors where it is "safe" or something. At least, that's been the experience with my Golden Laced Wyandotte, Amber.

Is she old enough to be molting? Doesn't look like she's molting from the photo, just curious. One of my hens refuses to come out of the henhouse because of the amount if embarrassment. Mostly kidding. 😅 Apparently they feel vulnerable when they molt so they prefer to stay indoors where it is "safe" or something. At least, that's been the experience with my Golden Laced Wyandotte, Amber.
Not quite lol. She's only about 8 weeks old. I can just imagine the look on a poor hens face when she's embarrassed 😂

I got my sweet Taco a few days ago and I've noticed that she just hangs out in the coop alot.🤔 I have her and a few other small silkies in a coop of their own in my bantam run. (That way they don't get fought away from the food since they are alot younger than my main flock)

I let them eat in the mornings, then open their little run area so they can socialize with the others and eat bugs and things. She will go out for a little bit, but prefer to just lay in the enclosed run part of the coop.🤷‍♀️

When I bought her it looked like her and several others were in a similar coop and not really allowed to run free. The lady had a tiny yard and her 4 silkie roosters ran free around the yard.

No signs of illness,(I've checked her over many times) poop looks good, eating and drinking, not getting picked on. She snuggles with my other silkie babies. She just doesn't act very chicken-like. She doesn't really want to hunt for bugs or run around the yard. Is this typical behavior for a bird raised in confinement?

(Picture for cuteness! 😍)

What is she standing on in that photo??

Back
Top Bottom