Raising a Rooster

My plan is for this rooster to sire egg laying offspring and he needs to be a good look out because I'd like to let my flock free range and currently my hens don't pay a lot of attention to hawks or even dogs. In fact, they've been known to jump the fence and join my neighbors' pugs for an exciting game of tag. I got that problem solved by making the fence taller though. Anyway, I wasn't asking for breed recommendations because I've already read through half a dozen threads regarding that, however, I've got an open mind and would not reject any advice offered. I've just noticed that some people say to spend a lot of time with them and that helps them get used to you and they'll be friendlier. Then I've heard others say that familiarity breeds contempt so to speak. I'm just trying to get an idea of what has worked for everyone so that I'll have the best chance of raising a rooster that is tolerable.

Honestly, I have found, from my experience, that if a rooster is genetically predisposed to aggression toward humans, handling or not handling will make no real difference. He'll do what he's going to do. If he's really comfortable with you and you've pretty much babied him, if he's prone to aggression, he'll take you on sooner. If he's not, well, he'll just remain a good boy. All that said, when they reach the age they are breeding the hens, they have a job to do and it's best to give them space to do it, whether he's aggressive or not, he doesn't need to be distracted. Folks will tell you lots of advice to "fix" an aggressive male, but I truly believe that if he's truly prone to that, you will not change him, not in any permanent way and it will come out when you least expect it. JMHO.

I'm having to deal with a young male who is not from my own non-aggressive line, so an unknown quantity for me, who developed very early, way ahead of his brain, you might say, and it's taking awhile for him to figure out what he wants to be. If you check out my "Evolution of Atlas" thread in Pictures & Stories, the male in question is named Hector, a gift of hatching eggs from a super nice lady and friend on BYC. It sort of gives the evolution of Hector as well, how his aggression showed up early, along with his comb and wattles and dominant behavior at around 7 weeks old, and what I did with him and how he's changing now that he's 21 weeks old. He may just have not known what to do with his body-before-brains development since he seems better and better as time goes on. He may be a good one in the end, though I'm not "there" with him just yet, not 100% anyway. But, that's just if you want to read the stories, if not, no worries.

Unless you get a male from a line someone has experience with (and that won't be hatchery because you never know about them), you'll pretty much have to get what you get and hope that you'll end up with a rooster you can tolerate. I wish you all the best and I hope you report what happens with it.

You don't mention if you plan to then breed the rooster or just have him around for novelty or protection. I think that matters.

I have a Cochin roo currently. A packing peanut from a hatchery order. He's a good protector, and his disposition is perfectly pleasant.

That said, there is nothing that a black Cochin roo offers to my flock from a laying or meat perspective that I want to breed into them. So he's fine for now, because I'm not breeding. While you CAN get a bad roo from a calm breed, playing the percentages is a good way to go.

If you don't want to breed them, you're just selecting for positive attitude and there are several options for good layers and good behavior. Brahma near the top of that list.
My cochin roo is a sweetie, and he even tolerates the kids hugging him. He does get a little nervous with the kids, but he's about one of the best rooster I've seen for kids.

Back
Top Bottom