Raising and caring for ducklings

When does a ducking mature? When will my ducklings be able to join my adult chickens in the coop and eat layer feed?
They may never be able to be with them, depends on the temperament of your chickens, when introducing new flock members no matter what breed, it should be done slowly, put up temp fencing maybe try the plastic poultry fencing That's what I use, keep the young ones in there side by side with adult chickens and let them get to know each other that way for a couple weeks, then try letting them be together. It still may not work but hopefully it will, and by 4 months ducklings look like adults physically. ducks can start laying by 5 months and drakes can begin mating 5-6 months. so keeping a close eye on drakes is very important too since drakes can kill chicken hens if they mate with them. starting with 1st egg start feeding layer just like chickens.
welcome-byc.gif

I'm feeding it duck pellets right now, so when it starts to lay I will change to layer/grower but will I have to feed them niacin, brewers yeast and all that stuff also?
Niacin should be provided for the first 10 weeks or so if they are being fed chick starter. If they are eating a feed made for growing ducks, they shouldn't need the added niacin.

I forgot to hit mutlitple so for your other question, drakes will vary on the age when they get their curl. I have some Pekin who are about 3 months old now ( I think) and 2 have had noticable curls for a few weeks now. But other breeds can take up to 4-5 months.

I must have boys, thou they act like m/f and their voices are like males.
But the one I feel is the boy has had a curled back end. He's very protective of her and she
always places her head under his for protection. They are 5 or 6 weeks here. She's smaller than him also
If you look at the picture you will see what I mean. But I know it does not mean it will be
what it will be.

Back
Top Bottom