Raising and caring for ducklings

Pics
I finally got my first duck eggs this week! I have one of six ducks laying almost daily already. I'm assuming it's one my blue Swedish because it's nit black so not the cayugas and it's barely larger that my (hopefully last) store bought chicken eggs, so I'm thinking smallish for the Pekins. Hoping the rest will start soon, but with impending winter I'll take what I get.

I finally got my first duck eggs this week! I have one of six ducks laying almost daily already. I'm assuming it's one my blue Swedish because it's nit black so not the cayugas and it's barely larger that my (hopefully last) store bought chicken eggs, so I'm thinking smallish for the Pekins. Hoping the rest will start soon, but with impending winter I'll take what I get.

thumbsup.gif
Congrats!!

First duck eggs last week, lost my first duck this week. Already posted the details elsewhere but so upset :( if you ever think "eh, it's good enough" about your predator protection, think again. The guilt of losing a baby and knowing you could have done a bett job. It's hard :hit

Expectant mom here. I have 2 fawn/white Runnerl ducklings and 2 Toulouse goslings which shipped yesterday (Tue). Will be here Thur or early Fri. I have Save a Chick and Nutra Drench. After a long cold trip which do I give them upon arrival??

Linda

Thank you so much. My ducklings were dying and i couldnt figure out why but this helped me. The food i was giving them was LAYER . I didnt know it harmed them. The place i got them from said as long as it was crumb food it was okay. Glad i decided to research for awhile. Hopefully its not to late for the rest of my fuzzy babies. I feel awful.

Thank you so much. My ducklings were dying and i couldnt figure out why but this helped me. The food i was giving them was LAYER . I didnt know it harmed them. The place i got them from said as long as it was crumb food it was okay. Glad i decided to research for awhile. Hopefully its not to late for the rest of my fuzzy babies. I feel awful.
hugs.gif

Don't beat yourself up, when we first start keeping our birds we expect place we get them from to know what they are talking about right? We learn eventually that isn't so, sorry you had to lose some of your babies to find that out.

Welcome to BYC @Newmommaof6

More good info https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711

Last edited:
So happy to have found so many duck lovers on this site-it's always been my go-to for chickens (I have a small poultry problem
1f602.png
), so it's great to have all this info on one site! I have had one duck in the past but just hatched out a new baby this morning. And I have spent hours reading all about ducks in these forums!

@Miss Lydia from my post on the earlier thread, you were right-it's not a mallard, it's a Rouen.

Back
Top Bottom