Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Oh my goodness, some of them are so stinking loud! One of our buff Orpington girls yells for about an hour before and after she lays an egg. And who said roosters were noisy??

My OEGB girls are the chattiest!

View attachment 1131772 View attachment 1131773
I think my Fiona IS going broody!!! This is her.. in the box all puffy and screachy :eek:she has only been laying for MAYBE 3 weeks???? Her poor sister Sydney is sure Fiona has lost her mind!

:love
Nothing like a broody screech!!

My silkied serama girls are 9 months old, and have been laying for a while, but their rooster is much younger and was slow fertilizing their eggs. One tried going broody before the boy was even doing the deed! But i kept taking her eggs. Finally i started getting fertile eggs, and the darker one went broody again, so i gave her some eggs, then the white one joined her. They have 6 under them, due this weekend! :fl
WP_20170904_19_29_57_Pro_LI.jpg

My silkied serama girls are 9 months old, and have been laying for a while, but their rooster is much younger and was slow fertilizing their eggs. One tried going broody before the boy was even doing the deed! But i kept taking her eggs. Finally i started getting fertile eggs, and the darker one went broody again, so i gave her some eggs, then the white one joined her. They have 6 under them, due this weekend! :fl
View attachment 1131989

Soo cute! I can't wait for my silkie and possible Show girl to go broody, which i'm hoping one might. It's a valid excuse to either get more chicks or hatch more chicks.

Soo cute! I can't wait for my silkie and possible Show girl to go broody, which i'm hoping one might. It's a valid excuse to either get more chicks or hatch more chicks.

I'm trying not to get my hopes too high, as these will be some of my smallest chicks yet. The cockerel is super tiny, the girls are too. These are first timers, and it's getting cold at night now. But i checked a couple eggs tonight and they look about ready. Cautiously optimistic.

I call my EE cockerel Whine-O because he makes that complaining noise that chickens do, a lot! He came up lame the other day, i have no idea why. He is always bossing the guineas around, maybe they ganged up on him.

Welp, no chicks from my own incubation, not sure if they're even alive, sadly, but I came home with 4 10+ week old pullets(one's not certain yet, but the breeder told me it looked like I got away with a 45 dollar worth pullet for 15 xD. We went there, only looking to buy two birds, a polish girl, and a silkie girl, ended up coming home with a silkie, two polish girls, and a Show Girl.

I also found out my parents are addicted to chickens, in their own way. My mother, who drove me to get the chickens, is completely fine with me collecting silkies and polish, while my dad wants a rooster for every breed I get xD.

I've fallen in love with my polish girls, which only one has a name, coco, she's a chocolate beauty with some white on her crest feathers, the I have a pretty buff girl, not sure what to name her. then we have lucy, my Show Girl, who likes to sit on the feed bowl like it's a nest, which I have a bucket nest for them, as I intend to keep them, and my bullied polish rooster, Psycho Syde, who ran into their pen the second day in the morning before my school bus showed up, until they all start laying, which will hopefully be in October.

Which brings me to another dilemma, I need to now come up with four names instead of just two (my Wyandotte girls are identical and i'm waiting for their comes to grow a bit). I've named 12, now 14 including my two new girls that have been named.

View attachment 1131989
Those have got to be two of the cutest little broodies ever!! Best of luck on your tiny babies! :)

Those have got to be two of the cutest little broodies ever!! Best of luck on your tiny babies! :)

Got home after dark this evening. Went to check all the birds and the 2 broodies. One had an egg slightly peeking out from under her so i stuck my flashlight on it. At first it look like a quitter. I sighed and picked it up to candle better and it peeped at me! Internal pip. :clap

Got home after dark this evening. Went to check all the birds and the 2 broodies. One had an egg slightly peeking out from under her so i stuck my flashlight on it. At first it look like a quitter. I sighed and picked it up to candle better and it peeped at me! Internal pip. :clap

Welp, I have now two live babies, one is chilling with me so it can dry faster, the other is in the brooder under the heating pad.

CONGRATS to both of you.....for babies here...and babies on the way!!!!
I am discouraging my little Fiona from being broody right now:rolleyes: We are starting to get quite cool up here at nights...with days to follow soon! Just not the best time for chicks..sigh! So far she is somewhere in the middle..out most of the time and clucky...then bouts of REALLY wanting to sit. I am NOT her favorite person then :oops:

Back
Top Bottom