Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
  • Can anyone tell me if they try to talk to their chicks? I think I have too many to talk to, I have 16 chicks of different types, and I have 18 guineas. I've tried to spend time with each one of them, but it's almost impossible. And then when I try to pick them up they all run from me. It's really hard to catch them. Anyone else have any luck in trying to talk to the chicks?
Phillip, I've always found my guineas were wild as March hares. But they were free ranging tick control at my place, getting little intervention from me other than catching a few up to give away from time to time. Just keep talking and giving food while talking. I talk to all my animals, all the time. HE complains sometimes that I never shut up. Some chicks will buddy up to you, especially if you teach them that YOU are the source of the best and easiest food. Birds are just small dinosaurs in a way. Their lizard brain rules their reactions. If they learn not to fear you and that food surrounds you, they will come. Mostly. Always a few skittish holdouts.

Question for Today: Chicks make all sorts of sounds - are you learning to distinguish between them to indicate different things they may be communicating?
Yesterday there was the unmistakable "something is seriously wrong" extended high-pitch crying coming from one of my indoor peeps. When I went to check it out, I didn't see anything amiss, so in my most teacherly tone I chided them, "OK, kiddos, have you ever heard about the boy who cried "wolf"? Don't be doing that cry unless there's something really wrong!" And then I happened to glance at the 3/4 empty feeder...yep. One little pooper had gotten himself inside it, and couldn't figure an escape route. I guess there was really a reason for the crying after all!

Absolutely! They have their own language. Kinda like I can tell the difference in a dog's bark, I can also tell the difference with the chickens sounds. And my 3-month old Call ducklings showed me yesterday that they communicate with the chickens too! One of the roosters squawked (I spotted a woodpecker flying by), but the ducklings took cover too! I have many times grabbed the rifle and ran outside when I hear the ruckus. The main problem with my flock is the subtle similarity of the predator alert, and the egg song. :lol:

• Can anyone tell me if they try to talk to their chicks? I think I have too many to talk to, I have 16 chicks of different types, and I have 18 guineas. I've tried to spend time with each one of them, but it's almost impossible. And then when I try to pick them up they all run from me. It's really hard to catch them. Anyone else have any luck in trying to talk to the chicks?

I talk to mine all the time. Maybe not individually, but they definitely know my voice. They know me when I walk outside. And you can bet your bottom dollar that mine even know the difference between a feed scoop and my scratch/treat cup! :p

Absolutely! They have their own language. Kinda like I can tell the difference in a dog's bark, I can also tell the difference with the chickens sounds. And my 3-month old Call ducklings showed me yesterday that they communicate with the chickens too! One of the roosters squawked (I spotted a woodpecker flying by), but the ducklings took cover too! I have many times grabbed the rifle and ran outside when I hear the ruckus. The main problem with my flock is the subtle similarity of the predator alert, and the egg song. :lol:

I talk to mine all the time. Maybe not individually, but they definitely know my voice. They know me when I walk outside. And you can bet your bottom dollar that mine even know the difference between a feed scoop and my scratch/treat cup! :p
Funny that you mention running out of the house when you hear the ruckus - I just did that...and you know what else makes that sound (besides the egg call, which I actually did lol when I read)? My ridiculous broody 6 month old! She's out there squawking at the wind when it doesn't blow the way she wants it to...literally smack dab in the middle of the yard all by herself with her big amber "crazy eyes," telling the grass to grow straighter and the trees to stop making that rustling sound. Heaven help us!!

Question for Today: Chicks make all sorts of sounds - are you learning to distinguish between them to indicate different things they may be communicating?

I keep my young birds in shelters out on pasture and move them every couple of days to fresh grass. I can tell when they are hungry, when they think its time to move, when they're injured or scared and when they are happy.

Yup, I talk to them every day, twice a day or more. Treats are a good tool to get them coming to you. My adult birds all gather at the gate when we arrive hoping for meal worms, garden vegetables or some other goodies. If I'm working in a pasture within eye shot of my turkey hens, they'll fly over the fence and come keep me company...

Funny that you mention running out of the house when you hear the ruckus - I just did that...and you know what else makes that sound (besides the egg call, which I actually did lol when I read)? My ridiculous broody 6 month old! She's out there squawking at the wind when it doesn't blow the way she wants it to...literally smack dab in the middle of the yard all by herself with her big amber "crazy eyes," telling the grass to grow straighter and the trees to stop making that rustling sound. Heaven help us!!

That is so funny! Crazy eyes! I have a couple of those!! OEGBs mostly. They act the nuttiest sometimes.

oh, also i have a screened-in porch out my back door. the doors make a clacking sound when i walk out and the Call ducks immediately quack when they hear that door. If i catch the door and don't let it bang, they don't do it until they see me. :D

And i broke my rule today and got 2 more chicks. Adorable little seramas, 5 weeks old (crops bulging because they ate like pigs when we got home lol)
WP_20170621_21_31_51_Pro_LI.jpg WP_20170621_21_42_53_Pro_LI.jpg

That is so funny! Crazy eyes! I have a couple of those!! OEGBs mostly. They act the nuttiest sometimes.

oh, also i have a screened-in porch out my back door. the doors make a clacking sound when i walk out and the Call ducks immediately quack when they hear that door. If i catch the door and don't let it bang, they don't do it until they see me. :D

And i broke my rule today and got 2 more chicks. Adorable little seramas, 5 weeks old (crops bulging because they ate like pigs when we got home lol)
View attachment 1050178 View attachment 1050179
Hahaha - you are a bad influence, my friend... I am going to have to stay away from any potential chick purchasing opportunities because I can just hear myself, "WV got some,and she has a ton of chicks already, so, I could get some..."

Watching them hatch!!!!! That's why I have so many.....way more than I should......
I can not tell you how many times I've been tempted to take that incubator off the shelf again...I keep telling myself, "When your own chickens lay enough eggs to do a nice e pure-bred hatch, then you can incubate again!" (Oh, and after I send a bunch of those eggs to Jessimom to hatch first!! :highfive: ) btw, the Silverudd's Blue USA gave MJ a lot of very nice complements - the only thing yet,with her, is seeing if she will actually lay a large sized egg! :)

Back
Top Bottom