Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
I KISS. Keep It Simple, Sweetie! Cardboard edging about 16-20 inches high with minimal corners (roughly circular) over a waterproof tarp covered with 2-4 inches of large pine shavings. Paper towels laid over the shavings for the first few days to help avoid spraddly legs. Easy clean up. Pretty bio-friendly too. Cost effective.

I use thermostatically controlled seedling mats for heat, covered in thin fuzzy fabric (could be a thin flannel pillowcase)and draped over a low metal grate or piece of wire fence panel or something like that. I have some kind of old file sorter or maybe it's a cupboard rack that I repurposed. Makes them a little warm cave. I have a red bulb for a light fixture to use as pecking prevention and nightlight. It's not left near the bedding. I'm very aware of electrocution and fire risks. That's one reason we use the waterproof seedling mats. I also avoid hanging things over the brooder for fear of them falling in or on chicks, metal feeders, bedding, water.

I use jar lids or shallow clay plant pot saucers the first days for feed and water. Whatever I have around. After that I try to use whatever they will need to become accustomed to as adults, if possible. It seems easier for them to learn to accept new things while young, and I can be sure everyone is getting what they need.

My brooder has almost always been in either a seldom used shed, garage, or partitioned off area of the barn. This will be the first time I've done it in the house. It's an unused room this time of year, but still curious how long I'll be able to stand it.

I'll remember NOT to name a chick Beatrix Potter! :lau
May I join?I may be getting six babies soon!Posisbly, entering a essay to!
Hey!My 8 year old BR is named Beatrix(AKA Bea, Beaaroni, Lady Bea, Lady Cakes, "GET OUT OF THE FLOWER POT BEA!" "Stop attacking Indigo, Bea")And she is really named after Beatrix Potter :tongue

May I join?I may be getting six babies soon!Posisbly, entering a essay to!
Hey!My 8 year old BR is named Beatrix(AKA Bea, Beaaroni, Lady Bea, Lady Cakes, "GET OUT OF THE FLOWER POT BEA!" "Stop attacking Indigo, Bea")And she is really named after Beatrix Potter :tongue
Welcome on board!! So glad you joined us!! Are you bidding on an auction? Sounds fun!

Well, my brooder has evolved. Started with 8' 2X4s on base and top and 4' 2x4s as uprights. Then covered with 4X8 Chloroplast sheets. Then I moved it to the barn on the side with the wood shop. Concrete floor vice dirt. Big problem with that location, I have a Rat who lives in the wood shop. So half inch welded wire under and around the walls. 1/4 welded wire for the top. 2' of bedding (big pine shavings). On day one, I put Gro-Gel Plus on their feed and throw out a piece of paper or cardboard with a mix of sand, baby grit and feed. I also put Quik Chik in their water. I use a nipple water system for them and also use a 4' sweeter heater on 1/4" rope with pulleys for heat. I use standard chick feeders (plastic). Here are a couple of pix of the brooder.
DSC08798.JPG

If you can afford it, this is better than anything home made... https://www.qcsupply.com/422209-game-bird-drinker-activator-kit.html

I can brood 100 birds per cell in this configuration.

Hey, another East Frisian person!! Looks like you have a good color assortment! Did you incubate them yourself or get them sent to you?
I did!! We bought the eggs and about 3/4 of them hatched. The silver too was young and I don't believe he was covering his flock well just yet as most of our silvers didn't hatch!

Back
Top Bottom