Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
This is my first bunch of chicks ever (seven, now five weeks old) and I started adding a sprinkling of Sweet PDZ under a 1" layer of pine chips in the brooder in week 2. I read about it somewhere, researched it, and decided to give it a try.
Not much odor at all and at this point they are mad poopers. Occasionally a less-than-pleasant aroma from a freshly delivered poop but certainly no ammonia odor.
They do tend to enjoy snacking on it, though, but no harm done. It's an inert mineral (zeolite) that is non-toxic and acts like grit when it's eaten.
They say to use the granular one for the horse stalls. The bag says "Sweet PDZ Horse Stall Refresher," Granular. It has a cute pic of a foal on the front. $9 or so for 25 lbs at Tractor Supply. They do make it in a fine powder form but I read that it's not recommended for chickens.
Here's something from their website:

http://www.sweetpdz.com/chick.html

Last edited:
Quick change of subject (although I am now going to try the PDZ! Thanks everyone! :) )
I finally got 2 of my very flighty 3 month old Exchequer Leghorns to eat from my hand today!! They're still a little timid, but persistence pays off. I need them to associate me with treats because I am forever trying to get them off the tops of coops, out of trees, etc. It will be so much easier if they fly down on their own because they want a yummy meal worm!

Anybody want to talk parasites? No? Yeah, didn't think so. Darn it, neither did I until one of my hens forced me to have the conversation. It would be so lovely to know most things about chicken keeping "theoretically" rather than "experientially". (I may never eat rice again.)
eta: :sick

IMG_3609.JPG
IMG_3608.JPG IMG_3604.JPG IMG_3606.JPG IMG_3605.JPG

Just got them this morning! Exactly what and how many I ordered. I'll upload more pics later. Blurry pics because they are soooo active! I'm a happy girl right now!!

IMG_9296.JPG IMG_9298.JPG IMG_9305.JPG IMG_9315.JPG IMG_9317.JPG IMG_9319.JPG IMG_9322.JPG IMG_9324.JPG

Before and during maintenance. Doing great and very few needed butt cleaning. Had to back off the heat a couple of times. This room stays well over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep a min/max recording digital thermometer about an inch above the litter on the edge of the brooder to be sure they have cooler and warmer areas. They seem to go under the heat mat for naps and are moving about well, sound content. So far so good.

View attachment 1060752 View attachment 1060753 View attachment 1060754 View attachment 1060755 View attachment 1060756 View attachment 1060757 View attachment 1060758 View attachment 1060759

Before and during maintenance. Doing great and very few needed butt cleaning. Had to back off the heat a couple of times. This room stays well over 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep a min/max recording digital thermometer about an inch above the litter on the edge of the brooder to be sure they have cooler and warmer areas. They seem to go under the heat mat for naps and are moving about well, sound content. So far so good.
I love, love, love the little contentment sounds! My very favorite music! Well done!
I am spending a lot of time with one of my hens' butts right now. She got "flystrike" and it was horrible, horrible!! I am still not sure she will pull through, but we are hopeful. Ironically, we have very few flies this year... :barnie

Well, today is "moving chicks out of the house day!" A day celebrated by all those who have had chicks living in their homes since November - a day when serious cleaning and dusting of said homes will commence - a day when little chicks stand eye-to-eye, or eye-to-knee-cap (through a fence) with big chickens - a day when little chicks get to dust bathe in real dirt - it's truly the July 4 for chicken-mommies everywhere!!

Back
Top Bottom