Raising Baby Chick-Along

Pics
Speaking of wandering front-yarders, @WVduckchick, we lost "Front yard chicken" the other day. We think she might have gotten into someone's garbage or something toxic on one of her forrays out of the yard. At first I though she had sour crop, but there was no bad smell, and she went super fast.
Sadly, the men in the household were not sad because she routinely ripped out all the landscape bark out of our front planters and made huge messes. When i told them she had passed, they had the nerve to say, "Yeah!" Nice, male people, nice."

Cool thread!

I have three 5 week olds and two 2 week olds.

The two 2 week olds had some trouble hatching which was quite stressful because it was my first time hatching eggs. The problem was that the membrane dried. The first chick got out okay but the second one hatched too early so as I was helping it I hit some blood vessels but thankfully they weren't connected to the chick. When I was almost done I saw that the yolk was not fully absorbed yet! I was praying and hoping like crazy and the Lord answered my prayers because little Ivory is safe and sound! She is noticeably smaller than the chick who is a day older then her but I'm so glad she's alive!

I'm so exited to hatch chicks again next year!!!

Welcome! Most of us are hatchers too, several from hatch-alongs but since most aren't hatching at the moment (i still am, and my girls still are :rolleyes:) Orr got us together again. :clap

Speaking of wandering front-yarders, @WVduckchick, we lost "Front yard chicken" the other day. We think she might have gotten into someone's garbage or something toxic on one of her forrays out of the yard. At first I though she had sour crop, but there was no bad smell, and she went super fast.
Sadly, the men in the household were not sad because she routinely ripped out all the landscape bark out of our front planters and made huge messes. When i told them she had passed, they had the nerve to say, "Yeah!" Nice, male people, nice."

Omg, I'm sorry :hugs
And i hope you were close enough to slap the livin daylights out of those guys. :mad:
Some people just don't understand.

So Sorry :hugs

Welcome aboard!! Most the time we talk chicks, brooders, broodies, etc, but it's also okay if there's something else going on you want to "bounce off" the chick-along'ers! (We've been talking flood, fire, natural disaster lately - go figure - but also talk about all our other backyard friends too (and some wandering front-yarders too!) I'm glad you are here!!
Thanks! I have two broodies right now and they are SUCH a pain in the butt. My other broody left after my first egg hatched but the other two will just not move! It's not a huge problem with me though because they do go out for food and water everyday.

That's too bad. Not many people realize how much chickens mean to us.

Hi everyone. This is a great thread. I have been reading it all day. Still sort of a noobie, and love the learning this site provides. My husband is like "backyardchicks" again? Everytime he sees me on the phone. :lovecan not help it... So we started our crazy chicken love journey in May. We ordered our first chicks last April to be delivered in May, then found the perfect home and closed on it fast. We built a coop and before we had finished a lot of predator proofing we lost 2 and had two injured. Demo'd everything and made a mini Fort Knox with a similar med bay for our injured girls. I am also making a large hoop coop.
Father asked me half way through contruction if chicken math was contagious and asked me to get more...so we are waiting on a shipment near Sept 13th. Some day I want goats, but as I have 10 more boxes and totes to in pack, a basement with all the unneeded things waiting for organization, and the base of a hoop coop calling my name. . . Maybe in a few years. I want to grow my chickens food first before more animals. Learning about fodder for chicks.
Anyone grow thing for their flock?

This is a my kids favorite rooster. He cuddles her. The temp tractor was made of pvc. I know it is not a good solution. Was temp for yard during contruction while supervised. Waiting for delivery of HC etc.

Attachments

• 20170825_152956.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 3
Hi everyone. This is a great thread. I have been reading it all day. Still sort of a noobie, and love the learning this site provides. My husband is like "backyardchicks" again? Everytime he sees me on the phone. :lovecan not help it... So we started our crazy chicken love journey in May. We ordered our first chicks last April to be delivered in May, then found the perfect home and closed on it fast. We built a coop and before we had finished a lot of predator proofing we lost 2 and had two injured. Demo'd everything and made a mini Fort Knox with a similar med bay for our injured girls. I am also making a large hoop coop.
Father asked me half way through contruction if chicken math was contagious and asked me to get more...so we are waiting on a shipment near Sept 13th. Some day I want goats, but as I have 10 more boxes and totes to in pack, a basement with all the unneeded things waiting for organization, and the base of a hoop coop calling my name. . . Maybe in a few years. I want to grow my chickens food first before more animals. Learning about fodder for chicks.
Anyone grow thing for their flock?

This is a my kids favorite rooster. He cuddles her. The temp tractor was made of pvc. I know it is not a good solution. Was temp for yard during contruction while supervised. Waiting for delivery of HC etc.

Welcome to the madness! :welcome

Back
Top Bottom