Raising Baby Chick-Along

Anyone giving their littles treats? I gave the chicks the end of a pumpkin yesterday and a piece of watermelon today and they gobbled them up. I also gave them a little piece of dried out french bread one day. They pecked out all the innards and left the crust. They love mustard greens, dill, thyme, parsley and broccoli.

I start giving them treats as soon as they are outside. BUT, if they are still inside, I add grit with the treats. I have NO GRASS, just a dry desert for a yard. But I have lots of trees. I have tree that overhangs the baby coops, and they love the leaves. Any time we cut down branches, we put the whole branch in their runs. They pick them clean!! But we give all food scraps to all the pens. We have to divvy it out, since the girls do get jealous if they see one pen getting something and they don't get any.....

I toss a little scratch in each pen, less if there are really young ones, a couple times a week.

Time to go inside
WP_20171001_18_51_46_Pro_LI.jpg

So many cute pics and great stories! I had to really distance myself from the last batch I hatched because I knew they couldn't stay.
20170917_135541_kindlephoto-83437197.jpg

Thankfully, they went home with a super sweet lady whose chickens are PTSD therapy for her. She said, "Whenever I feel panicked, I go outside and sit with my birds." I don't even have a disorder (no comments :) ) and I feel the same way!!
Anyway, only a few days away from hatching some nice Ayam Cemani from @Ravynscroft - I can hardly wait!!!

So many cute pics and great stories! I had to really distance myself from the last batch I hatched because I knew they couldn't stay. View attachment 1151523
Thankfully, they went home with a super sweet lady whose chickens are PTSD therapy for her. She said, "Whenever I feel panicked, I go outside and sit with my birds." I don't even have a disorder (no comments :) ) and I feel the same way!!
Anyway, only a few days away from hatching some nice Ayam Cemani from @Ravynscroft - I can hardly wait!!!
hmmmmm my breeder drakes are from @Ravynscroft :yesss:

So many cute pics and great stories! I had to really distance myself from the last batch I hatched because I knew they couldn't stay. View attachment 1151523

:fl :fl for a great hatch!
I just got an update from the lady who won the auction you were bidding in... 6 out, 2 more working on it and 3 left... so happy to hear good news on them!

And they're STILL laying! :he
So just let me know how they do!

hmmmmm my breeder drakes are from @Ravynscroft :yesss:

:lau
Did you hear what happened to the turkey tom I sent off to be a free dinner? They already had 2 toms, so they were gonna process him and one of theirs... they fell in love with him so he is staying and their 2 are being invited to dinner! :lau

Well, the brats are at it again... I have one RIW and about 5 ILs who refuse to stay within the protection of the electric fence. Today, one of the ILs was doing the egg song out by the compost pile... Guess DW and I will soon be hunting for eggs. ARG:he

Lol! I had a Call that hid eggs in the compost... she hatched all 4 eggs there! :lau

I am getting close to letting my littles out in the run! The top of the run is half done, hope to finish it today. Had to work around a tree!View attachment 1151532
I also have a low spot i need to fill with dirt and i need to bury the apron. But i am making progress!
The next run I'm building will have to negotiate a tree as well! :)

Well, the brats are at it again... I have one RIW and about 5 ILs who refuse to stay within the protection of the electric fence. Today, one of the ILs was doing the egg song out by the compost pile... Guess DW and I will soon be hunting for eggs. ARG:he

My calls are laying everywhere too. I have to watch where they go to find them. By the time i see them, i usually find a few eggs there :(

Back
Top Bottom