Raising Baby Chick-Along

I added some green stuff to the compost pile and watered it. Got the hose on the lemon tree now, the big birds are enjoying it. Littles are running around the enclosed yard getting into things.
Swept the patio and added more poop to the compost pile.
Hubs forgot the border for the back and one side of the poop board in the coop so we have to remedy that tomorrow. Will be watering all day.

We went off into the woods today to look for a build site for the new coop. Now we need to make a trail big enough for the Mule so i can haul the supplies in there. We also worked on clearing out an area in front of the goat shed site so i can plant the 10 holly bushes DH bought. Lots of brush and dead wood, bonfires scheduled tomorrow if i can get wet wood to burn!
Wow, you are making awesome progress! So great!

We had a little scare here at the Orr place. We've lost a few birds recently, and after I spoke to a vet, I was certain it was Marek's. Thankfully, I was able to send a bird off for necropsy, and it came back as a bacterial infection. I probably shouldn't be grateful for bacteria, but it's not contagious! Long story short, during the time I was uncertain what was happening, I did a ton of research and met some very smart and courageous chicken keepers who have the dreaded M in their flocks. It's really a worth while study, and it gave me an entirely new perspective on the disease. It also reminded me how important biosecurity is (although Marek's is transported by dander, so it can come in with the wind, wild birds, rodents, and even flies! - very difficult to prevent!). We also have some of the kindest, most compassionate folks on this website when it comes to matters of such a serious nature. I was very impressed.

Today i started my hoop coop! It will be approximately 16.5'x8' when finished. Hoping to get the work done quickly. At the same time, the contractor started on the goat shed today. He got the uprights in place. I cleared the site for my coop and started pounding in t posts. Got three in before the sun set and i had to go lock up the guineas and go in to eat. Here is a picture of my site: 20171017_160045.jpg

Back
Top Bottom