Raising Baby Chick-Along

Thank you! They're blue Australorps
Very cool - they look a lot like my SBs - but I'm sure in person, the Austrolorpes are definitely larger birds. My SBs are petite, compact little egg laying machines!
20171019_093411.jpg

@orrpeople I looked up the SBs after your question. They do look a lot alike don't they?
You're right, they're standards and lay a nice sized brown egg.
Sage green eggs, I bet those are pretty! I read that SBs were formerly Isbars. Are they bantams though?

@orrpeople I looked up the SBs after your question. They do look a lot alike don't they?
You're right, they're standards and lay a nice sized brown egg.
Sage green eggs, I bet those are pretty! I read that SBs were formerly Isbars. Are they bantams though?
Right, apparently there was already a breed called Isbars, (not sure where?) so they were calling these Silverudd's Isbars for a while, until they formally changed the name to Silverudd's Blues. They're a standard sized bird, but share the petite nature of a leghorn (one of the ingredients in the breed). They're the same size as my Exchequer pullets; about 2/3 the size of one of my austrolorpes. I really like them as far as personality goes - the roosters are beauties, and very mellow.
This is my blue guy (he's filled out a bit since this pic)
2017-08-17 18.46.37.jpg

And, of course, my Toby
2017-07-14 07.53.41.jpg

Right, apparently there was already a breed called Isbars, (not sure where?) so they were calling these Silverudd's Isbars for a while, until they formally changed the name to Silverudd's Blues. They're a standard sized bird, but share the petite nature of a leghorn (one of the ingredients in the breed). They're the same size as my Exchequer pullets; about 2/3 the size of one of my austrolorpes. I really like them as far as personality goes - the roosters are beauties, and very mellow.
View attachment 1171676
And, of course, my Toby
View attachment 1171677
Oh wow, beautiful! I see why you like them. 2/3 the size means more birds right? Lol.
Is Toby a splash version or a different breed? I'm sorry, I don't know much about different breeds and how to tell them apart yet. Working on it!

Oh wow, beautiful! I see why you like them. 2/3 the size means more birds right? Lol.
Is Toby a splash version or a different breed? I'm sorry, I don't know much about different breeds and how to tell them apart yet. Working on it!
Yes, Toby is the splash variety. Like most "blues" they come in blue, black and splash (lots of chicken folk just say BBS) and the color combinations are interesting, genetically. I have Toby in with all my SB girls right now - so their offspring will all be either blue (with the black and blue pullets) or Splash (with the blue and splash pullets) - no possibility for black with this combo. So far (and knock on wood) my SBs have been unaffected by the virus. Some are vaccinated, some are not...only time will truly tell, but I'm hoping to get some chicks from this mix and vaccinate them anyway.

View attachment 1171676
And, of course, my Toby
View attachment 1171677

:love

Note to self, wish list... SB's!!

Back
Top Bottom