Raising Baby Chicks - Notable Topic Index - Please Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have pretty much determined that one of our chickens is a rooster. My first instinct was to find him another home but my 13 year old son wants to try and get some baby chicks. We have only had chickens for a year so having a rooster is very foreign to me. Should I keep the rooster seperated with only 1 or 2 hens?

Thanks
Diane

twinmom+1VT :

Is there a chick checklist? A list of all the things one needs/should have before chick arrive? That would be really helpful for first-timers like me.

Hi Im new too my question is what age do you my chicks need vaccines , they are five wks old ive had them for nearly two weeks now , hope im posting this in right place

thank you
Debbie​

Hi now to forum. Hope it will help me along the way with my chics, hens, etc. I have a question or two.

Is it normal for my incubator to smell and my eggs apear to be leaking air. Is this normal?
roll.png

They were getting bubbles on the out side like when you put water on a tire to find a hole. I also spoke to my grandmother this morning and found out that they were no supose to have an oder so I chunked the whole batch.

Will try again in a couple of weeks . If one of my hens wanted to sit I wouldnt even try to incubate.

Ooh, I agree.. If they have been in there a long time and have had the smallest crack.. bacteria get in and in the warm, humid environment you'll have stinky egg.. throw them away.. using a 5 parts bleach, 20 parts water mix.. soak the inside. If it's a styrofaom one.. put it outside in the sun to dry the heat will help as well as the sun will bleach some of the stains as well.. You have to disinfect the incubator too because the next eggs you set might do the same thing.. or even worse, when the babies hatch, they'll be infected with the nasty bacteria.. \\Good luck on your next batch.. It's not easy, waiting.. but eventually, You'll get a good hatch!
celebrate.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom