Raising Bantams and Standards together?

Thiriel

In the Brooder
Jun 2, 2016
Fredericton, New Brunswick
Hello,

I've never raised chicks before and the breeder I'm thinking of buying from has both standard and bantams of the breeds I want. i was wondering, would it be alright to order some of both and raise them in the same brooder? I'm planning on using Mama Heating pad (as seen from here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update) can I brood them together or do I have to brood them apart?

Any help would be appreciated
big_smile.png

I'm sure you will hear differing opinions, but I've had no trouble raising both sizes together.
smile.png
I kept d'Uccles, Rosecomb bantams, Wheaten Ameraucana bantams, Phoenix bantams, Faverolles bantams, and Wyandotte bantams in the same brooder with with Egyptian Fayoumis, Spitzhaubens, Isbars, and a Cream Legbar successfully. And while the latter three are on the smaller side when it comes to large fowl birds, they are EXTREMELY bitey.
lol.png
Yet, in spite of this, the bantams hold their own!
big_smile.png
What breeds are the standard-sized chickens you plan to get? Some tend to be meaner than others. (though this can depend on individual personality)

~Alex

I'm sure you will hear differing opinions, but I've had no trouble raising both sizes together.
smile.png
I kept d'Uccles, Rosecomb bantams, Wheaten Ameraucana bantams, Phoenix bantams, Faverolles bantams, and Wyandotte bantams in the same brooder with with Egyptian Fayoumis, Spitzhaubens, Isbars, and a Cream Legbar successfully. And while the latter three are on the smaller side when it comes to large fowl birds, they are EXTREMELY bitey.
lol.png
Yet, in spite of this, the bantams hold their own!
big_smile.png
What breeds are the standard-sized chickens you plan to get? Some tend to be meaner than others. (though this can depend on individual personality)

~Alex
I'm plannin on getting some Buff Orpintins and Wyandottesin both standard and bantam and Ameraucana and a Japanese or to in bantams only

Whether or not different breeds get along together of course depends on individual temperaments as much as anything.

However, chickens will focus their attention on any chicken in the minority that is significantly different, whether it be size, color, pattern, or distinguishing features such as the Polish head pouf.

The antidote to this is to introduce multiples of whichever feature is of significant difference in order to dilute the focus.

Getting multiples is what I was planning on doing anyways 3~4 of the bantams each and 2~3 of the standards, in case of loss and then cull the bully's and other undesirables, such as extra or standard roos.

Back
Top Bottom