Raising Catfish in a barrel!! 11-03-2011 UPDATE!!

Quote:
Keeping CO2 in solution below 30 ppm is typicly safe and it is hard to get CO2 higher than 7-10ppm with the yeast system so I feel safe.However the catfish are not pets,they are food.FOOD FOOD FOOD NOT PETS.

The clorine will dissapate when I use my drip system for 100% refill and clean 24/7. I can make a 2.10gph drip and it will make my barrel 100% clean in 24 hours.

I have never raised fish in a barrel, but we have raised them in those garden ponds many times. It's easy. We had a pond in our basement for several years.

Quote:
Chlorine may dissipate but if your county is adding chloramine;
(NH2Cl is commonly used in low concentrations as a secondary disinfectant in municipal water distribution systems as an alternative to free chlorine chlorination. This application is increasing. Chlorine (sometimes referred to as free chlorine) is being displaced by chloramine, which is much more stable and *****does not dissipate from the water before it reaches consumers****.

If your water has chloramine then use an aquarium product called Amquel, other wise the fish will die.

Update:

Oxygen levels are great! no bad water at all!

The drip system is good at 2.1 gph.With the drip system going 24/7 and the water breaking the surface to make oxygen I will have a 100% clean and oxygenized tank every day.
lol.png

Co2 system is going good to.Aquatic plants are comming,and so are fish.

Waiting game stinks!
barnie.gif
he.gif
fl.gif

Quote:
As someone mentioned plants will need light, BTW what kind of plants are you planning to grow?
Adding CO2 with the stocking levels you plan may cause an algae bloom which will require more water turnover. You will also need supplemental air, the depth of the 55 gallon drum will require a powerful air pump and large air-stone, the air has to come from the bottom to keep the waste from layering on the bottom.
Can you post some pic's of your set up?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pond-supplies/pr/c/5163

Quote:
As someone mentioned plants will need light, BTW what kind of plants are you planning to grow?
Adding CO2 with the stocking levels you plan may cause an algae bloom which will require more water turnover. You will also need supplemental air, the depth of the 55 gallon drum will require a powerful air pump and large air-stone, the air has to come from the bottom to keep the waste from layering on the bottom.
Can you post some pic's of your set up?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.com/pond-supplies/pr/c/5163

WOW! you are like the strongest critic I have yet to come across.
caf.gif

I've seen articles that say it's possible, but my brother and I have both come to the same conclusion, it's too problematic. I used to commercially fish for catfish and take them to market. He has too and also has extensive experience keeping them in aquariums as a hobby. Just like any animal in crowded conditions they will be under much stress and it's unlikely that they will do well. Problems with fish eating on each other, flukes, and skin ulcers are likely to develop during the length of time it will take to grow them out.

You could prove us wrong though... Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom