Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics
Oh my goodness. I read Blooies post, then I see this on Richard's Sunday thought. I'm not going to be able to open my swollen eyes in the morning. Happy tears.
love.gif

Sunday Thought: My mind has been on the Rio Olympics this week and I'm reminded of something that occurred to me years ago. When you watch the long distance runners in the Olympics you'll notice they do something unexpected. They often times dump water on the person next to them when grabbing a drink from the stands as they run by. Why would they do this? Don't they want the competition to faint? Then it hit me, they aren't competing with others....they're competing against themselves! I mean, yes, technically they are competing against those around them, but more importantly they've trained for months and even years before those Olympics on their own, just beating their own best time over and over again to constantly improve. Real Olympic champions do this, and know it's the secret to unlocking their best potential! Life is like that. We always have a choice to compete against others, or just let what others do roll off of our shoulders and worry about doing our very best in what we do. It's when we start looking at what someone else is doing in competing with us that we start to falter...like this guy in the picture next to Michael Phelps. Let's all remember to focus on improving ourselves and our own goals instead of worrying what the competition is doing, I guarantee we will all do a little better if we apply this principle. Let's all be real "Olympic" champions!
Happy Sunday everyone!

Last edited:
I am crying right now. Thank you Blooie.
hugs.gif

He let me know that he has a bladder infection right now. He says, I have been lucky, haven't had one in quite a while. He will go into the office tomorrow, and guess what? There is one right across the street from him. They have Walk in Emergency's. He'll get on his regular urinary medication for this problem. He says it's quite painful this time, will ask for pain medication this time. He doesn't always, so when he does, I know he's in pain. Glad that place is right across the street.

Blooie, you are amazing with words, and that post was spot on for our Richard..I'm still crying. May I share this with my family? Let them know that this came from someone on one of my favorite forums?
Thanks, but I'm no different than you or any other loving parent, grandparent or caregiver. I believe more strongly in the human spirit and the Good Lord's protecting hands than in some "disability's ability" to try to taint either. You have no idea how much hope learning about Richard has given our family. The same goes for every one of you with your amazing special kids - I have learned something from every story, every photo, and every glimpse into your everyday lives. I am so humbly grateful if this forum has given you a place to share, to commiserate, to learn, and even to throw a verbal temper tantrum if that's how you feeling at the moment!

Praying that Richard gets some relief from his urinary infection - those things are miserable!! One of the things I'm most looking forward to with Kendra's Mitrofanoff is that her risk of any kind of urinary tract infection has been reduced to the same risk any of us face day to day. Now that it's working properly I can see that all she (and we) went through this long summer will be more than well worth it for her and all of us!

Please feel free to share with your family. And thank you again. Now stop crying and go take a hot bath!
hugs.gif

Oh my goodness. I read Blooies post, then I see this on Richard's Sunday thought. I'm not going to be able to open my swollen eyes in the morning. Happy tears.
love.gif

Sunday Thought: My mind has been on the Rio Olympics this week and I'm reminded of something that occurred to me years ago. When you watch the long distance runners in the Olympics you'll notice they do something unexpected. They often times dump water on the person next to them when grabbing a drink from the stands as they run by. Why would they do this? Don't they want the competition to faint? Then it hit me, they aren't competing with others....they're competing against themselves! I mean, yes, technically they are competing against those around them, but more importantly they've trained for months and even years before those Olympics on their own, just beating their own best time over and over again to constantly improve. Real Olympic champions do this, and know it's the secret to unlocking their best potential! Life is like that. We always have a choice to compete against others, or just let what others do roll off of our shoulders and worry about doing our very best in what we do. It's when we start looking at what someone else is doing in competing with us that we start to falter...like this guy in the picture next to Michael Phelps. Let's all remember to focus on improving ourselves and our own goals instead of worrying what the competition is doing, I guarantee we will all do a little better if we apply this principle. Let's all be real "Olympic" champions!
Happy Sunday everyone!

Yes, yes and YES!!

Hi all,

Well, I have to beat myself up a bit....

My daughter has been wearing glasses for 15 of her 17 years. When she was little, they would modify the arms to actually hook over her ears instead of normal arms. But the last 3 or 4 pairs haven't had them. For the past couple of years she has had the same pair - her prescription supposedly hadn't changed, so I didn't get her new glasses last year. We noticed for several years now, as soon as she walks into the house she would take off her glasses. She would carry them room to room with her, but wouldn't wear them in the house. When she did wear them, she looked over them quite a bit. As soon as she puts on her shoes to go outside, she would put on the glasses.

We've been seeing the eye doctor every 2 months,, because her left eye is not tracking as well as the right. This last time they decided to dialate her eyes and do a full exam. They scanned her glasses to compare the exam to.

Turns out her glasses had been wrong. I don't know if the last prescription we got was wrong, or if the glasses were made wrong. Same doctor wrote both prescriptions. I don't know how to read a prescription, but my glasses have never changed this much from 1 year to the next. I'm ok with the Sphere, but I have a problem with the Cylinder and the Axis.

The right eye was:
Sphere -3.5, Cylinder +.50, Axis 180

Left eye was
Sphere -3.0, Cylinder 0, Axis 0

Her new prescription is
Right eye is:
Sphere -4.0, Cylinder +1.0, Axis 90

Left eye is
Sphere -3.5, Cylinder +1,0 Axis 90

I have no idea if the bad prescription in her left eye CAUSED her tracking issue, or even just made it worse. Or even if it had any impact at all.....

All I know, is we got her new glasses last night. She wore them into the house, and didn't take them off until she went to bed. This morning, as soon as she got up, she put them on and wore them all morning. As she is looking at her tablet - her old glasses she would love over them, with these new glasses, she is looking through them. When she got home from school today, she didn't take them off.

Having a non verbal child, I should have understood her aversion to wearing her glasses MEANT something.....

I feel like a bad parent.....

Hi all,

Well, I have to beat myself up a bit....

My daughter has been wearing glasses for 15 of her 17 years. When she was little, they would modify the arms to actually hook over her ears instead of normal arms. But the last 3 or 4 pairs haven't had them. For the past couple of years she has had the same pair - her prescription supposedly hadn't changed, so I didn't get her new glasses last year. We noticed for several years now, as soon as she walks into the house she would take off her glasses. She would carry them room to room with her, but wouldn't wear them in the house. When she did wear them, she looked over them quite a bit. As soon as she puts on her shoes to go outside, she would put on the glasses.

We've been seeing the eye doctor every 2 months,, because her left eye is not tracking as well as the right. This last time they decided to dialate her eyes and do a full exam. They scanned her glasses to compare the exam to.

Turns out her glasses had been wrong. I don't know if the last prescription we got was wrong, or if the glasses were made wrong. Same doctor wrote both prescriptions. I don't know how to read a prescription, but my glasses have never changed this much from 1 year to the next. I'm ok with the Sphere, but I have a problem with the Cylinder and the Axis.

The right eye was:
Sphere -3.5, Cylinder +.50, Axis 180

Left eye was
Sphere -3.0, Cylinder 0, Axis 0

Her new prescription is
Right eye is:
Sphere -4.0, Cylinder +1.0, Axis 90

Left eye is
Sphere -3.5, Cylinder +1,0 Axis 90

I have no idea if the bad prescription in her left eye CAUSED her tracking issue, or even just made it worse. Or even if it had any impact at all.....

All I know, is we got her new glasses last night. She wore them into the house, and didn't take them off until she went to bed. This morning, as soon as she got up, she put them on and wore them all morning. As she is looking at her tablet - her old glasses she would love over them, with these new glasses, she is looking through them. When she got home from school today, she didn't take them off.

Having a non verbal child, I should have understood her aversion to wearing her glasses MEANT something.....

I feel like a bad parent.....

Let tell you having a non verbal child is not easy . You do the best you can . It however always doesn't seem to be enough . Dose it make you a bad parent NO it doesn't . As such parents we go way above the duty of parenting . We give up many things that we enjoy to care for our children . Ben hasn't been to the dentist for a good while . Reason being he has to be put under to have even his teeth cleaned .There are very few dentist who will do it and we live near Nashville Tenn. One of the most advanced medical cities in the country . But because Ben had a melt down at the day center he goes to I was able to find another that would take him and his insurance . I had to pick him up and this dentist has a mobile dental clinic that sets up in parking lots to take care of their patients and was at the state facility next to where he goes. I always look for that silver lining to every cloud . The one I see here is a exceptional mom who is constantly looking at her child and observing what her child needs and making sure she gets just that. Just because it took you a little while to catch it well that is part of having a non verbal child . No one else would love your daughter as you love her or care for her as you do . Bad parent not through the window I'm looking in
hugs.gif

Well, prayers for Richard. Remember I said he was going through a UTI..? He finished his first anti-biotics, and still has the infections. Now on Cipro. :/ This is the first time in a long time that being on a prescription didn't work the first time. The few times it didn't work, he ended up with kidney infection. He is in a lot of pain with this one.

Well, prayers for Richard. Remember I said he was going through a UTI..? He finished his first anti-biotics, and still has the infections. Now on Cipro. :/ This is the first time in a long time that being on a prescription didn't work the first time. The few times it didn't work, he ended up with kidney infection. He is in a lot of pain with this one.

So sorry to hear that, Cynthia. Hope the new antibiotics kick in quickly and he starts feeling better soon!

Let tell you having a non verbal child is not easy . You do the best you can . It however always doesn't seem to be enough . Dose it make you a bad parent NO it doesn't . As such parents we go way above the duty of parenting . We give up many things that we enjoy to care for our children . Ben hasn't been to the dentist for a good while . Reason being he has to be put under to have even his teeth cleaned .There are very few dentist who will do it and we live near Nashville Tenn. One of the most advanced medical cities in the country . But because Ben had a melt down at the day center he goes to I was able to find another that would take him and his insurance . I had to pick him up and this dentist has a mobile dental clinic that sets up in parking lots to take care of their patients and was at the state facility next to where he goes. I always look for that silver lining to every cloud . The one I see here is a exceptional mom who is constantly looking at her child and observing what her child needs and making sure she gets just that. Just because it took you a little while to catch it well that is part of having a non verbal child . No one else would love your daughter as you love her or care for her as you do . Bad parent not through the window I'm looking in
hugs.gif
Thank you so much!!! You made me cry....
hugs.gif

My daughter is SO incredibly lucky to have grandparents, both parents (although we are not together) and an incredible step mom that love her and care for her. I once made a list of the things that I could no longer do, but I also made a list of all the things that I am now able (and willing) to do because of my beautiful girl. Some are funny, like I miss going on roller coasters, but now I get to spend 4 hours on a merry go round instead!! It turned out that my positive list was MUCH longer than the negative list. I wouldn't change a thing about her, unless it would make life easier for her. I do wish I were more aggressive in questioning things I'm suspicious of....

I'm so sorry Richard is going through this. I hope the Cipro works!!!

Back
Top Bottom