Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics
Aw, Cynthia....he's so doggone (pun intended) cute! Richard has the same way with people that he has with dogs, that's been obvious since you first introduced him to us! Love that boy!

@3DPhamily Welcome to the thread! I'm not sure if we've "met" before - if we have and I've just forgotten, please forgive me! Can you tell us a little about your daughter? Just as much as you are comfortable sharing, of course.

Our granddaugher, Kendra, is on her 3rd chair. The first two didn't have the chrome outer push wheels on them so she had to move by pushing the tires. Ewwwww. Whatever was on her tires got on her hands. But her newest chair does have the push wheel, so we're a little more comfortable letting her go out to the chickens. So far her only chores are to bring in the eggs, but she's also got more severe autism than her sister so we don't push her too far past her comfort zone. The chair is still a little hard for her to push in the grass, but she can walk a little bit with assistance and her braces so we usually take the chair as close as we can on the sidewalk around the house and then park it.

I don't know if you've seen this article or not, but there may be some tips in there to help you introduce your daughter and chicken chores.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kids-with-disabilities-can-enjoy-chickens-too

Again, welcome to the thread.

Big week here this week for Kendra. On Monday Grampa got out two of those little fruit cups and put one at his spot at the table and put one in front of Kendra. I was standing kinda behind her and a little to the side. She picked up her cup, whipped around, pushed her cup at me and said, "Open it." Whoa.......that was HUGE!!! Communication! Not a label, but an actual request, expecting a response!

Then on Wednesday her lunch dessert was one of those little pudding cups. Now, to "get" this you have to go back to last spring when she flunked the "mental capacities" test by not asking for a spoon for her ice cream. Remember, she didn't do what she was supposed to do according to their little test. Instead she got down, went over to the cabinet, opened the drawer, got a spoon and then went back to the table. Since she didn't "ask" for the spoon, they couldn't check the box. Grrrrr. Since then when I give her something I prompt her to ask for more....."What else do you need, Kendra?" She's never said it yet. But Wednesday before I could even ask her she said, "A spoon." and pointed at the drawer! Yippppeeeee! More communication!! Twice in one week!!

Our daughter (9yo) is waiting for her second (bigger) wheelchair to be delivered and we are hoping it will be better in the backyard so she can help with our chickens! We are also hoping that she will be able to have some "chicken chores" to help with so she can feel more responsible for her own surroundings. Here's to hoping she's as fond of the chicks as we hope she will be!! :)
frow.gif
Welcome aboard! We need pictures of your little one.

Aw, Cynthia....he's so doggone (pun intended) cute! Richard has the same way with people that he has with dogs, that's been obvious since you first introduced him to us! Love that boy!

@3DPhamily Welcome to the thread! I'm not sure if we've "met" before - if we have and I've just forgotten, please forgive me! Can you tell us a little about your daughter? Just as much as you are comfortable sharing, of course.

Our granddaugher, Kendra, is on her 3rd chair. The first two didn't have the chrome outer push wheels on them so she had to move by pushing the tires. Ewwwww. Whatever was on her tires got on her hands. But her newest chair does have the push wheel, so we're a little more comfortable letting her go out to the chickens. So far her only chores are to bring in the eggs, but she's also got more severe autism than her sister so we don't push her too far past her comfort zone. The chair is still a little hard for her to push in the grass, but she can walk a little bit with assistance and her braces so we usually take the chair as close as we can on the sidewalk around the house and then park it.

I don't know if you've seen this article or not, but there may be some tips in there to help you introduce your daughter and chicken chores.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/kids-with-disabilities-can-enjoy-chickens-too

Again, welcome to the thread.

Big week here this week for Kendra. On Monday Grampa got out two of those little fruit cups and put one at his spot at the table and put one in front of Kendra. I was standing kinda behind her and a little to the side. She picked up her cup, whipped around, pushed her cup at me and said, "Open it." Whoa.......that was HUGE!!! Communication! Not a label, but an actual request, expecting a response!

Then on Wednesday her lunch dessert was one of those little pudding cups. Now, to "get" this you have to go back to last spring when she flunked the "mental capacities" test by not asking for a spoon for her ice cream. Remember, she didn't do what she was supposed to do according to their little test. Instead she got down, went over to the cabinet, opened the drawer, got a spoon and then went back to the table. Since she didn't "ask" for the spoon, they couldn't check the box. Grrrrr. Since then when I give her something I prompt her to ask for more....."What else do you need, Kendra?" She's never said it yet. But Wednesday before I could even ask her she said, "A spoon." and pointed at the drawer! Yippppeeeee! More communication!! Twice in one week!!
thumbsup.gif
Way to go Kendra!

Yes 3D...we like photos!

Wow, Kendra is making some great progress. Bet she just gets going now. It seems once they start, and get it like she is now..that just take off! This is great news!

Well, someone ruined the name Jake for me..it keeps happening! I think of a name I like, and someone says something. I liked Luke, and someone brought up star wars and said, May the force be with you. I am not a huge fan of Star Wars now. Back in the 70's was ok. :)
I kept wanting to call him Jack anyway, kept slipping out..so .. thinking Jack is it now. I think. Probably.
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom