Raising Chickens and Special Needs Kids

Pics
Happy New Year everyone! Cynthia - I LOVE the photo!!

Way to go Kendra!! Way to go Pam and Cindi!! Thinking outside the box and having such a HUGE impact is what makes the folks that work with our kids so amazing! I have been guilty of procrastination with Jess - things will get done!!

I love reading all the stories - it helps us realize that we aren't alone, and that there are people struggling with bigger or different things than we are, and maybe out problems aren't that impossible to deal with!

We noticed with Jess that she was turning her left foot in when she was walking. I looked through the paperwork and found the orthopedist we had gone to when Jess was younger - we found that 2006 was the last time we saw him. I pulled up his info and made an appointment. TALK ABOUT A SHOCK - he was a large confident doctor when we saw him last. This time an OLD, bent, VERY thin, shaky old man shuffled into the room. He was abrupt and somewhat cranky. But, he knows what he's doing and he had a very friendly, efficient assistant that would explain the commands the doctor barked out.

Once I got over the shock - we found it's the same issues Jess has always had. She would W sit as a baby - in my house we would stop her, at her dad's - he didn't. Because of that, she has very bad bunions on both feet. Her big toes are pushing under the toes to the side. It's causing her to roll her foot, which is causing issues with her HIP. She is getting inserts for her shoes. We need to get her orthopedic shoes and have them attach something called chipmunks to the edges of the bottom of the shoes to keep her feet from rolling. I'm waiting to hear from the group that will make the inserts.

The assistant told us to get board shoes - they are similar to the materials in orthopedic shoes, and they are colorful and a lot cheaper. So, we'll go shoe shopping this weekend.

Another surprise - Jess started puberty when she was 11. She grew super fast for 3 years and stopped growing. She has been exactly 5 feet for the past 3 years. I usually brush her hair when she is sitting down, but sometimes I'll stand behind her and brush it. That's how I noticed she has gotten taller. It has harder to do her hair. She grew! A little less than an inch. But, I guess she has decided to start growing again.

I hope everyone has a wonderful 2017. I hope this year brings good health and happiness!

So glad for the update on Jess! Growing huh? Well, the little stinker!! They aren't allowed to do that, are they?

Wish Jenny would get off her hiney and get this ortho stuff done before Jeremy looks like the doctor you saw!
lau.gif
For crying out loud, he's all ready for her - just waiting the for the new script Jenny picked up in Denver a few weeks ago. All she has to do is put a stamp on an envelope and mail it. I can take Kendra up to Cody to get them put on! I think sometimes Jen just gets so overwhelmed with everything that she shuts down briefly.

So glad for the update on Jess! Growing huh? Well, the little stinker!! They aren't allowed to do that, are they?

Wish Jenny would get off her hiney and get this ortho stuff done before Jeremy looks like the doctor you saw!
lau.gif
For crying out loud, he's all ready for her - just waiting the for the new script Jenny picked up in Denver a few weeks ago. All she has to do is put a stamp on an envelope and mail it. I can take Kendra up to Cody to get them put on! I think sometimes Jen just gets so overwhelmed with everything that she shuts down briefly.
LOL, This is the guy I remember, and this is the photo that is on his webpage.

He kind of looked like this when I saw him on Friday...

Ok, so maybe it wasn't THAT bad, but close.

But for Jenny,I can fully understand the overwhelmed feeling. Sometimes we spend so much time struggling with the BIG issues, that those simple little steps (mailing an envelope) get lost in the shuffle. I hope that you get all that straightened out soon. Although it sounds like the work the grabber is doing might make the braceses un-needed if she keeps going so strong!

Good luck!!!

But for Jenny,I can fully understand the overwhelmed feeling. Sometimes we spend so much time struggling with the BIG issues, that those simple little steps (mailing an envelope) get lost in the shuffle. I hope that you get all that straightened out soon. Although it sounds like the work the grabber is doing might make the braceses un-needed if she keeps going so strong!

Good luck!!!
O dear!! Makes you feel like you were in a Twilight Zone episode.

Good luck!!!

ep.gif

Those docs change all right. My husbands dr. has changed. He is getting up there. He isn't doing as much as he used to. Not as many days a week. Good thing. He doesn't seem to be liking the work like he used to. Same for my doc. We are close in age. I remember going to him for the first time. Suggested to me when I married Scott. Needed a dr. in this area..my sis suggested him. First time I saw him, I thought, man, he's pretty young..hope he knows what he's doing. He did fine. :) Now, he seems to be in a hurry all the time. Used to take his time in the room. I can see that he is going fast with a lot of others when I am there. Guess he thinks he knows it all now..lol..I shouldn't say things like that. He does still help me out quite a bit. And, yes, I think he knows me pretty good by now. ;)

Wow, this snow..won't stop! Took Richard out shopping a couple of days ago. No way he can get to the store he wants to go to..has his bank in it. After, he had us drop him off at a bus stop. We were asking him, are you sure you want to go to Orem today? That's two towns away. He said, once he gets there, to a mall..that the snow is kept off pretty good. But these storms that have been coming is making it hard to keep cleared. He wasn't worried. He let me know through test message that he got there fine. And, in the stores fine. Waay later in the evening, he texts me and says he's on the bus on the way home. Wow, he stayed out late. He had been cooped up in the apt. for a while because of the storm, so glad to be out!
Anyway, once he was home, he messages me again to say, wasn't hard to get up the driveway..which we were worried about, but it was to get..into his door! There was just a bit of slush, right there in front of his doorway. All day out and about, doing fine, until he gets to his doorway. He was explaining all of the maneuvers he had tried until he finally got in. He doesn't usually text me when he's heading out of town, but I had asked him to. He knew I worried about this day. It was pretty bad out there, even for me to try and walk around normal. Slippery. Well it snowed again all day yesterday and last night again. He is pretty much stuck in his apt. when it snows out. He always makes sure that he has plenty of food for times like this in the winter. I worry more than him....still.

Cynthia - I'm so glad that Richard got out for a fun day. Sounds like he plans ahead for "snow days". It's funny, I still text my folks when I"m out late, or at the end of long drives (I'll be 50 in a few months).

For us, it's just rain. I am in Southern California - it never rains here. We have had MAJOR drought conditions for the past 4 years. Well, it seems to be resolving itself this year. It's been soggy lately. Light, misting rain for DAYS - it made things very soggy out back. During one of the dryer periods last week, I sold some of my laying hens - in the back of my little baby 2 wheel drive truck. I take more chickens than they want, so they can choose. Bringing the chicks home, I pulled the truck into my back yard. I left it there. Well it POURED last night. My dad tried to pull the truck out this morning and said it's stuck in 6 inches of mud. Our ground is just pure clay, when it gets wet, it gets SLIPPERY.. That poor truck isn't going to move until it dries out there. The chickens are going to have to learn how to swim soon.

I hope the snow stops soon so Richard can get out again! Stay warm and dry!!

Thanks Jessi..we are supposed to warm up tomorrow..big time! I can't imagine all of this snow melting fast. It will be soggy in our back yard too. Clay? Oh yeah, slippery. I get slippery areas where the chickens had their food..then it gets wet.
big_smile.png

We always hope that the snow stays on our mountains, that's our water for the coming yr. Snow in the mountains.

Back
Top Bottom