Raising chicks in brooder outside-trouble šŸ˜¢

If that's a meat thermometer with the probe down through the heating pad, you may not be getting an accurate reading of the actual cave temp. Especially if it is making contact with the heating element inside the pad.
No, it isnā€™t that. It is an outdoor thermometer that keeps the min/max temperature reading. It is lying as close to the wall in the cave as it will stay. Sometimes thereā€™s poop on it.

If they haven't been given grit yet, I would also suggest that, to help break down any bedding they eat.

As far as the duct tape thing, something to try in lieu of duct tape would be Glad Press n Seal, I wrap my MHP with that every time I use it and it keeps the heating pad clean and keeps the cover on it tight, but without the risk of strong adhesives.

Even though drafts might be an issue, some of the ventilation should still be left open at all times, so make sure the plastic that's covering the open wire isn't covering all of it, especially towards the top.

So long as the chicks have a warm area that gradually cools off (heat caves are awesome), and a cool end (for food and water), your good! Baby birds and reptiles are pretty similar when it comes to set ups. From what I can see, your brooder looks fantastic!! If I HAD to change anything, I'd change the bedding to chopped straw. But really, A+!

If they haven't been given grit yet, I would also suggest that, to help break down any bedding they eat.

As far as the duct tape thing, something to try in lieu of duct tape would be Glad Press n Seal, I wrap my MHP with that every time I use it and it keeps the heating pad clean and keeps the cover on it tight, but without the risk of strong adhesives.

Even though drafts might be an issue, some of the ventilation should still be left open at all times, so make sure the plastic that's covering the open wire isn't covering all of it, especially towards the top.
They have grit. I sprinkle some on the tray were there food is.
I will give the press and seal a try.
The plastic is only 2 feet up.
Thank you!

So long as the chicks have a warm area that gradually cools off (heat caves are awesome), and a cool end (for food and water), your good! Baby birds and reptiles are pretty similar when it comes to set ups. From what I can see, your brooder looks fantastic!! If I HAD to change anything, I'd change the bedding to chopped straw. But really, A+!
Thanks so much!

I also have a container full of grit in there, that they had so far ignored. This morning the chicks were up when I came to bring the food (I take it out at night). They were in the grit bowl, eating it! Yay! Now hopefully the bits of bedding will leave their systems and all will be good. šŸ¤ž
I am more positive now, thank you all for your advice and support!!! šŸ’œ

0311221040a (1).jpg

0401221745-jpg.3100581

There's 16 square feet of ventilation open in the top photo.

The bottom photo is still draft-free since the vent wall is on the downwind side and any breeze flowing doesn't make it all the way over to the heat area.

Back
Top Bottom