Raising Chicks

Pics

chickenn00b11

Chirping
Oct 13, 2020
Bay Area
Hi all!
I was wondering what the essentials are for raising chicks? Also, what are the essentials for caring for adult chickens? What are the maintenance schedules like for both chicks and chickens? What is a good number of chickens to start with? How much land would they need? Can you guys recommend any useful products? Sorry for the question overload, I just really want to learn. Does anyone have some good point/reasons to get chickens so that I can convince my mom? Thanks!

So, for chicks, you need a brooder. This includes a heat lamp and spacious container. For example my container is one of the metal troughs you get at tractor supply. Don’t get the rubber ones bc they have anti algae chemicals in them. All of the things necessary to raise chicks can be purchased at TSC such as bedding, feed, a feeder and waterer. As for a schedule for the little ones...when they start to get low, fill it up again. A lot of people use chick grit but I’ve never needed it tbh I’ve been raising chickens for like four years now and I have no idea what chick grit is for. I’m pretty sure it’s to help digestion. As for adult birds, they do require room. This depends on the bird as well. Some do better in confinement than others. Personally, my flock is free ranged. However, my 12x12 stalls can easily fit six adult birds since it’s around 4-6 chick limit at tractor supply. Plus that’s just a good number to start with. Some uses? Bug control. Free eggs. Good pets if handled enough. They’re quite quirky. A beginner tip-start with a breed like barred rocks or sex links. Personally I think BRs are the best beginner birds. They’re super friendly and easy to gender since the difference in coloring. Plus they’re cool to look at. Sorry if I missed some of your questions.

So, for chicks, you need a brooder. This includes a heat lamp and spacious container. For example my container is one of the metal troughs you get at tractor supply. Don’t get the rubber ones bc they have anti algae chemicals in them. All of the things necessary to raise chicks can be purchased at TSC such as bedding, feed, a feeder and waterer. As for a schedule for the little ones...when they start to get low, fill it up again. A lot of people use chick grit but I’ve never needed it tbh I’ve been raising chickens for like four years now and I have no idea what chick grit is for. I’m pretty sure it’s to help digestion. As for adult birds, they do require room. This depends on the bird as well. Some do better in confinement than others. Personally, my flock is free ranged. However, my 12x12 stalls can easily fit six adult birds since it’s around 4-6 chick limit at tractor supply. Plus that’s just a good number to start with. Some uses? Bug control. Free eggs. Good pets if handled enough. They’re quite quirky. A beginner tip-start with a breed like barred rocks or sex links. Personally I think BRs are the best beginner birds. They’re super friendly and easy to gender since the difference in coloring. Plus they’re cool to look at. Sorry if I missed some of your questions.
Ok. Thanks that helps a lot! Can you recommend any food and bedding for both chicks and adults? Could I raise the chicks in a large cardboard bed? Do you have any tips for when handling chicks?

Where are you located on this globe?
Your location can help us help you with all of your questions.
But, let's figure out where you are first then, you tell us your thoughts about what YOU want.
You have obviously been thinking and reading about keeping chickens, so tell us what your thinking..
Let's begin there.

Where are you located on this globe?
Your location can help us help you with all of your questions.
But, let's figure out where you are first then, you tell us your thoughts about what YOU want.
You have obviously been thinking and reading about keeping chickens, so tell us what your thinking..
Let's begin there.
Ok. So I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would ideally have fresh eggs everyday along with a pet that I could sort of bond with (IDK if that is possible with chickens). I have a lot of space (more than 500 square feet to house chickens). Ideally, I would like there to be good protection from preditors since the area I am in has MANY mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, big birds, and other preditors. I am a very organized person so I would like a list of everything I would need so that I can put together a spreadsheet and better market this to my parents. I would prefer to keep the cost on the low side because even though my parents are paying, I don't want them to say no. I am not scared of doing a lot of maintenance and can devote a 5+ hours every weekend and at least 45+ minutes every week day.

Ok. So I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area. I would ideally have fresh eggs everyday along with a pet that I could sort of bond with (IDK if that is possible with chickens). I have a lot of space (more than 500 square feet to house chickens). Ideally, I would like there to be good protection from preditors since the area I am in has MANY mountain lions, coyotes, foxes, raccoons, big birds, and other preditors. I am a very organized person so I would like a list of everything I would need so that I can put together a spreadsheet and better market this to my parents. I would prefer to keep the cost on the low side because even though my parents are paying, I don't want them to say no. I am not scared of doing a lot of maintenance and can devote a 5+ hours every weekend and at least 45+ minutes every week day.
Wow! Impressive!
You are definitely on the right track.
So, how many chickens do you want?
You need a minimum of 4-5 square feet per bird inside your coop.
If, your not going to take an occasional loss of a chicken with free ranging, you will need at best case, 10 square feet per bird inside an enclosed area protected from the bad preditors.
So, do your Math.

Wow! Impressive!
You are definitely on the right track.
So, how many chickens do you want?
You need a minimum of 4-5 square feet per bird inside your coop.
If, your not going to take an occasional loss of a chicken with free ranging, you will need at best case, 10 square feet per bird inside an enclosed area protected from the bad preditors.
So, do your Math.
I don't want to risk free ranging just because of the abundance of preditors. I was thinking something like 5-7 chickens. I, if given the content of my neighbors (I know chickens of all kinds are legal in my area) would like to have one rooster. Would one rooster and 6 females be a good fit? Also, what coop would your recommend? What would be the best breed for a beginner that also lays eggs often?

I do not have a rooster. I do not want fertilized eggs nor do I want chicks yet. They Free range all day and get locked up every night. My so called "Rooster" is our dog. She protects them. Here is her picture watching over the girls.

Attachments

• 20200815_104934.jpg
    20200815_104934.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 50
First make sure your local laws permit you to have chickens.
That will also tell you how many your permitted and if your permitted to have a rooster.
The laws says backyard chickens are legal where I live. Also, what coop would your recommend? What would be the best breed for a beginner that also lays eggs often?

Back
Top Bottom