Raising Ducklings

boboshortbus

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2016
Pennellville NY
Hello I've never raised duckling yet. My mother has lost a couple this year that drowned.

Can I see pics of some good ways to keep ducklings safe from drowning when they have no mama to teach them.

I want to gets some ducklings sometime my son has asked me since we have chickens.

Thank you for any help!!!

The best way to keep them from drowning is to just not let them have access to swimming water unsupervised until they're older and bigger. And make sure that they can easily get out of the water when they get tired or cold.

Last edited:
Swim time should be supervised until they ducklings can easily get in and out of whatever they are swimming in easily.
Swim time should be limited so they aren't exhausting themselves before you remove them from the water. Doesn't mean 30 seconds of swimming and they are done, but it means keep an eye on them and take them out before they are tired.
After swim time, until their oil gland is working well and their feathers/down is up to snuff, they need a way to dry off. Don't let them swim and then toss them somewhere cold. Doesn't have to be hot, but they need to be able to preen and sort of dry themselves so they don't get cold.

Back
Top Bottom