Raising Geese 101

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Kevin565, Jan 9, 2012.

1. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Crowing

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Either try incubating them and see if they develop, or crack one open and look for a bullseye.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    Sorry I just saw your post today. I will work on pulling that together!

3. LarissaBuffMom

LarissaBuffMom In the Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    Flimington Missouri
    I loved reading this post, I just brought home my baby geese and they are wonderful but Im worried because my male cries alot when I leave is this normal for them? I want to raise my babies to be apart of my family and I also want them to be very healthy and happy if you have any tips please feel free to send them my way thank you for reading this...

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    Glad you enjoyed it!

As for your question yes that is a normal behavior. Did you get them as day olds? They may have already imprinted on you. In which case you are now "Mommy" and like most creatures when Mommy is away they usually cry for her. As they mature they should stop this habit.

5. [​IMG]HELLO FELLOW FEATHERHEADS:
    Well I now have my geese and I LOVE THEM ALL. Coolest creatures ever. I have an adult 2 yr old male cotton patch, that a dear friend[​IMG] gave me after it was attacked by younger ganders in her flock. Yea for me, then this same dear friend gave me a female cotton patch that has imprinted on me, at two days old. That was the last day of May, about ten days later, my little male and 2 female toulouse came in the mail. these are pics today. I LOVE MY BABIES[​IMG], thanks Heather for getting me started just when I really needed a distraction and something more to love and love me. The female cottonpatch (the largerone) is about three weeks old and the3 little toulouse are about 10 days old.

[​IMG]

Geggs and Skyfire like this.
  6. Iain Utah

Iain Utah Crowing

Dec 17, 2011
    Congrats, Jynxster!!!! Your geese are so lucky to have you!! [​IMG]

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    They're so cute! [​IMG],

1 person likes this.
  8. LarissaBuffMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Flimington Missouri
    My little geese are so loving , they have stop crying as much when Im away and we take walks in the yard when its nice out.My little girl who's 12 loves spending time with them and they seem to be attached to all 3 of us( my mother my daughter and myself) . What habits should I watch out for so they dont get mean with us?
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing

Dec 22, 2009
    The biggest thing is make sure your affectionate but NOT pushed around. Once they think there the Alpha it's can be a struggle to gain control

10. LarissaBuffMom

Mar 28, 2012
    Flimington Missouri
    My male is very loving but the female is kinda leery sometimes is this normal ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: