Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by houndit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Where at? Do you know what kind he has? I've got 14 keets right now and sure hope they'll hatch out next year, but if not, I may be looking to get more.....

2. I've read that keets are more squirly than chickens and need to be handled a lot more. This seems to be true, as far as I can tell. We still have to chase ours even though we try to handle them a few times a day. :/

3. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Southern end of Sanford, I think.
    But he is not hatching this year.
    He's got a mix of colors. I KNOW there are pearl grey, royal purple and lavender, but I do think there are others as well. :)

4. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Royal purples are SO gorgeous! We have the pearl grays. :)

I noticed two of my guineas getting "randy" the other day - both with the other guineas as well as one of my hens (she was thoroughly not impressed and promptly pecked him good). They're only 12 weeks old - is this normal for that age?? I kinda figured they wouldn't start the coitus behaviors until they got much older than they are now!

5. Sandshaven

Sandshaven Out Of The Brooder

Jun 6, 2013
    Mercer, PA
    My Coop
    I have seen mine imitate at that age... But I don't think they can actually produce fertile eggs at that age. I might be wrong... [​IMG]

6. aseelpak

aseelpak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Pakistan
    how are guineas different than chicken or they are breed of a chicken?? can there Roo crow??

7. kynewbchickie

kynewbchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Guineas are a game bird - chicken are domesticated poultry. Guineas make a lot of noise, both males and females - but I've never heard a guinea crow like a chicken. Maybe the others here have more to add to this. :)

8. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    My hen sat nearly a month over her due date. I checked her yesterday and she was off the nest finally! So I got rid of the eggs and nest. There were egg shells that looked like something had hatched from it but I haven't seen broody guinea or her husband since tuesday so I'm wondering if she has a baby and her and hubby are off together raising it or what? I discovered another nest and decided I will mark the eggs and leave them then start collecting the others to incubate. I go camp 1 night the next day I find a guinea sitting on the eggs. Uggg I thought maybe she's just laying but nope still there. I marked them with a permanent green sharpie. Should I count them out or could they sill be fine?

9. aseelpak

aseelpak Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2013
    Pakistan
    count them...... i suppose

10. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I think my birds are nuts! I've still not found the super broody guinea or her mate. So still don't no if there are babies wuth them? I'm not positive how many unmarked eggs are under guinea #2 or if guinea #2 is actually guinea #1 and she just found those eggs and decided to keep setting? I have 2 white both females and I can't tell them apart. Either way I'm still missing 2 :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by