Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by houndit, Mar 21, 2010.

1. wardrip402

wardrip402 New Egg

Jul 18, 2013
    How many baby guineas have in 1 litter? We just found out that we have 25 new babies and we only have 1 silver and 2 dark grey ones. Just wondering.

2. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I'm sorry I'm confused. Did your guineas brood and hatch eggs? I had a hen set on about 35 eggs but I believe it was a community nest and more than 1 bird laid there. I have heard guineas will lay a large nest by themselves mine have just not had a chance to.

3. wardrip402

wardrip402 New Egg

Jul 18, 2013
    Yes they brood and hatched eggs that's why we have 25 baby chicks. We only have 1 white and 2 grey's. Was just wondering about how many babies 1 Guinea can have. The adult Guinea's are very protective of the young and they are doing just fine.

4. lizzybaxter

lizzybaxter Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
    My guineas, Maude and Claude, had 22 eggs. One died in the shell, 4 never hatched, I stole 16 and put them in the brooder, and I left her one baby. Just wasn't sure how good a mom she would be, and it's been very rainy. We also have a lot of barn cats, just a lot of factors....I am watching the little family now wander through the yard-- they are so adorable. I am very glad, though, that I took most of the babies.

5. itsjustme

itsjustme Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2013
    Indiana
    I've heard they will lay up to 30. But like I said mine will share a nest up until 1 hen decides to set. The rest wil go find some place else to lay wor will set with her. I have 10 and though I'm not positive I think I'm nearly even on boys and girls. I had 3 hens set for weeks until another hen ran them off and took over. I believe she finally hatched 1. But by the time I realized she was off the nest and gone. I couldn't find her for days. Then all the sudden she was back, but no baby. Later she was gone again and I again couldn't fnd her. I see her every once in awhile. Idk why she keeps leaving where she goes or what she's doing? I dout she's setting she wouldnt have had enough time to rebuild a nest and lay enough eggs to incubate. I have another guinea setting now but she doesn't have many eggs under her. Yesterday. She rolked a few eggs out of the nest. I'm guessing they weren't good?

6. arnr1530

arnr1530 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2013
    North Carolina
    hello ya'll i am new to guinea fowl world i just got 4 new baby keets today 1 lavender and 3 pearls!!! i love them already and they are doing great .... these are some pics i took after i got them home!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Paulajon

Paulajon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2012
    MAINE

8. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Your pearls look a bit more like royal purples to me... But I am new too, so could definitely be wrong. :)

9. Mmmaddie13

Mmmaddie13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2011
    Fort Collins, CO
    They are probably blended down Pied Pearls. I have plenty of those. [​IMG]

10. starlingdaly

starlingdaly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2013
    Sanford, NC
    Ooooo, I learned a new thing! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by