Raising Guinea Fowl 101

Pics
hi guys
frow.gif

Warming up the incubator for approx 40 guinea fowl eggs that I have just stolen from a nest outside! Not sure how old they all are, but what is the worst that can happen? I would say a few if the eggs would be over a week old, but they all look good and none are rotten.... so wish me luck!

Other than NDChickRancher, does anyone else have a hen on a nest or any eggs in the incubator? I'm in Aus, so just coming into spring here.... whilst most of you are preparing for winter!

Soooooooo Jealous!!!!!!!
th.gif
good luck. I hope they are all ok!!! mine took much longer than the 28 days BTW...be vigilant and do NOT give up on the little guys!

great,no sooner do I read that guineas don't like new things....i had to improvise their nighttime broody light for a 40 watt. They keep busting out the lamp bulb. Even though it has a four way wire guard on it. It needs solid wire cover...I am greatful they haven't electocuted themselves..i thought i had the light up high enough, but as usual where these babies are concerned I was wrong. Another one got stuck today. Thankfully though it was just in a three gallon clear plastic jug where i store feed. He was "hungy".Darn things are always getting themselves in trouble. this is why i check on them about every 45 minutes to an hour. That and they seem always hungry. I started feeding them a cup of feed at mealtime twice a day. I rapidly found out that was nowhere near enough. I was tryig to figure out how much they eat. I figured each one has a crop about the size of a filbert or walnut and tried to estimate enough food accordingly. two cupfulls seems llike a lot but they eat that down and then go clean up after the bigger chickens! They are unstoppable eaters.

great,no sooner do I read that guineas don't like new things....i had to improvise their nighttime broody light for a 40 watt. They keep busting out the lamp bulb. Even though it has a four way wire guard on it. It needs solid wire cover...I am greatful they haven't electocuted themselves..i thought i had the light up high enough, but as usual where these babies are concerned I was wrong. Another one got stuck today. Thankfully though it was just in a three gallon clear plastic jug where i store feed. He was "hungy".Darn things are always getting themselves in trouble. this is why i check on them about every 45 minutes to an hour. That and they seem always hungry. I started feeding them a cup of feed at mealtime twice a day. I rapidly found out that was nowhere near enough. I was tryig to figure out how much they eat. I figured each one has a crop about the size of a filbert or walnut and tried to estimate enough food accordingly. two cupfulls seems llike a lot but they eat that down and then go clean up after the bigger chickens! They are unstoppable eaters.
lol, you have your hands full

They are voracious! I am giving them their medicated feed and supplementing with cracked corn just to try to keep them happy.....goofy little monkeys

LOL was just reading through. Ours yell at us too!! If they want something they let you know!
Mine were just yelling at me so I yelled back at them. I was carrying chicken for my dinner and told them it was someone they knew...they went berzerk! The neighbors are gonna call the authorities about the crazy lady in Alfalfa

I often tell my guineas and chickens that "we're eatin' their cousins!" Not only do they not care a bit, they fight to get a bite of the bones/scraps that we throw to the dogs! Rotten little cannibals, they are.....

Back
Top Bottom