1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising just a pair?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Vigilanteherbalist, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Vigilanteherbalist

Vigilanteherbalist Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Due to city ordinances, I can only keep two full grown hens due to the size of my lot.
    I have read the sentiment that "the more the better". I know about the phenomenon of "chicken math".

Unfortunately, for the present time, I can only have two until we move.

What are your experiences with small flocks? or just pairs?

I'm worried I'll lose one and the other will die of lonliness. :S

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

Actually with just two they'll treat you as flock member too (HA! I crack me sometimes! [​IMG] ) they'll be just fine. If one should pass away, yes, the survivor will be lonely but you can replace the lost hen.

It's when you only have one hen that they get lonely.

3. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...never heard of a 2 bird limit!! I've heard of none. And I've heard of just 4...but never two. That is a risk that you have no option but to take. I mean, you could go illegal and get three, and then rehome one if someone complains. Or you can stick with two, and then hope for the best. They may be happily together for many years before you have to worry about anything...

4. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I think they will be fine. Although i have quite a few, i tend to buy them in pairs and they stay together as a duo as they grow. I would just make sure that if something unfortunate should happen to one of them to replace it right away to avoid lonliness.

5. Vigilanteherbalist

Vigilanteherbalist Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2012
    Thanks for easing my worries y'all. I hope to have a larger flock before the point where they'd actually pass from old age. If the worst were to happen then I will get a new friend for the lone hen ASAP.

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by