Raising mealies in one container-question

mommom4

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 22, 2011
I've got 4 separate containers to raise mealy worms, but do not have screening or layers or bugs dropping down. I'm trying to multiply them in a self contained area and keep adding wheat bran and carrots. Any advise from anyone? Will this work without separating mealies from pupae from eggs, etc. Thanks everyone!

Wow. Must need coffee. I read that as raising meaties in one container!
lau.gif

lau.gif
- that's a bad idea

I believe you can do mealies in one container but you will end up with less in the end due to cannibalism.
I use two containers and have PLENTY after starting out with 50 so you might be ok in a single container.
I'm not sure what you mean by them not dropping down but if you have 4 containers and don't mind the effort, you will end up with more mealies if you seperate the beetles from the worms.

I raise them in a single container. If you provide suitable conditions, cannibalism in T. molitor is extremely low. You can see how I raise them in the link in my sig. line. The colony in this pic is now over 20 years old and production is great:

56638_mealwormcolony.jpg

THANKS!!! That's how mine look... just wanted to be sure I wasn't killing them.

Thank you, that is good to know. I'm sure I will get tired of transferring them to different containers and will switch to a single container like you show. For now, I am always excited to find new beetles every day and enjoy transferring and knowing it means more mealies

Back
Top Bottom