Raising Meat Chickens

Oh ft worth!

so to the OP... since you don’t want to do it yourself anyway, you’re very close to the best facility for small farmers in TX, Cobb Creek Farm. It’s in Hillsboro. They price based on 10 and under, 10-25, 25-50 and 50 and up.

you can have your birds processed there and either sell to your friends and family for cash, or purchase an annual permit for a specific farmers market to sell your meat there. They’re usually under $100.00 per market.

In order to sell without issue to individuals not for resale. You sell the live bird and charge for processing. You are not charging for the completely processed bird as you would do in a retail setting.
For example you want to buy chicken from me. Sure I got you covered (kinda like Allstate) it’s $2 per lb live weight plus $5 processing fee. You pay before I butcher. When I am done processing come pick up your beautiful shrink wrapped chicken.
That’s how you can do it around here in CT.

Since I only understood some of that, in summary, it's not worth the hassle. Got it.

Cash is king. Friends, family and other pluckers welcome to help in exchange for meat. I'll raise them, but you pluck.

Cash only. My wife's home town community, buys several from us every year. It always seems like we never have enough too.
I advertise "live birds" online, and folks swing by and pick up their own. I don't count on selling many that way, but this year has been more than usual.

It comes down to this... the money is made in the processing. If you process your own birds you can bring the price down enough to have people buy your product. If you pay someone else too process you either jack up the price of your meat to where very few will buy or you lose money per chicken.
agree. But I process in the backyard on the picnic table that has been bleached. Carefully watched by every dog in the yard. They really want to help.

I don't see my "processing facilities" being passed no matter how many gallons of bleach I used. I do use the bleach before and after. SS preferred over wooden counters.

agree. But I process in the backyard on the picnic table that has been bleached. Carefully watched by every dog in the yard. They really want to help.

I don't see my "processing facilities" being passed no matter how many gallons of bleach I used. I do use the bleach before and after. SS preferred over wooden counters.
I wouldn't pass either
I use a plastic fish/game table... outside...And bleach

I wouldn't pass either
I use a plastic fish/game table... outside...And bleach
Same thing here. I use pool shock but basically similar setup. Spray table and wash down table every few birds. Under tent with fans blowing to keep bugs away. I have the game table with faucet and running water. I wouldn’t change a thing.Works great!

Back
Top Bottom