Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
Im not sure how I will provide more shade for the bunnies in the summer, we have no shade in our backyard. I could try to use the umbrella for them, but it wont do a whole lot for 4 hutches

Im not sure how I will provide more shade for the bunnies in the summer, we have no shade in our backyard. I could try to use the umbrella for them, but it wont do a whole lot for 4 hutches

my daddy was in North Africa in WW II and spoke of tents with two tops, one to shade the other for a cooler tent in the desert heat

Is there any way to rig a tarp (especially a white tarp) near the rabbit hutches so it at least keeps some of the sun off? The other ideas suggested by DutchBunny03 and ocap are good, too.

They will have a white roof, Dad picked that out, I almost went with see through for winter heat(glad I didn't) Hubby is against building more things in the backyard, he is really against more rabbit hutches, but the bushes should give some shade. They are those ugly tall hedges for privacy fencing type of thing. We do frozen water bottles and ice in the drinking water, as well as giving cucumbers(veggies that promote water intake).

They will have a white roof, Dad picked that out, I almost went with see through for winter heat(glad I didn't) Hubby is against building more things in the backyard, he is really against more rabbit hutches, but the bushes should give some shade. They are those ugly tall hedges for privacy fencing type of thing. We do frozen water bottles and ice in the drinking water, as well as giving cucumbers(veggies that promote water intake).
if you could freeze the water in a metal pan that you could pop the block out you would not have to worry about chewing, has anyone ever had the rabbits chew plastic?????

just came across this thread and wondering are meat rabbits worth it? i don't plan on breeding them (maybe buying 5 or 6 to butcher), just for a special treat (as my grandma loves rabbit) its not the killing part the bugs me or worry's(i love hunting me some rabbits). me its all the time, effort and money. is it worth it? i enjoy eating rabbit (well wild rabbit).

Last edited:
just came across this thread and wondering are meat rabbits worth it? i don't plan on breeding them (maybe buying 5 or 6 to butcher), just for a special treat (as my grandma loves rabbit) its not the killing part the bugs me or worry's(i love hunting me some rabbits). me its all the time, effort and money. is it worth it? i enjoy eating rabbit (well wild rabbit).  

Are you speaking of getting some young kits and raising them to maturity for butchering? Buying fryers or older? I am just getting started, but breeding and raising for the meat. Between bunny, housing, and supply costs from nothing it was an investment, plus I picked a spendier breed. But we had other reasons too--responsibility for kids and eventual showing and thus far we have enjoyed the experience. I can't wait for my kits.

If you're just looking for a few, I would check out craigslist. Here in my area there are plenty up for offer. You could also look for a breeder who might have occasional culls. Or get some just weaned kits and raise till age for knowledge of what goes into your food.

Are you speaking of getting some young kits and raising them to maturity for butchering? Buying fryers or older? I am just getting started, but breeding and raising for the meat. Between bunny, housing, and supply costs from nothing it was an investment, plus I picked a spendier breed. But we had other reasons too--responsibility for kids and eventual showing and thus far we have enjoyed the experience. I can't wait for my kits.

If you're just looking for a few, I would check out craigslist. Here in my area there are plenty up for offer. You could also look for a breeder who might have occasional culls. Or get some just weaned kits and raise till age for knowledge of what goes into your food.
i have a breeder an hour away or so from me that sells new Zealand's. i plan on buying them as young (not sure what stage they sell them at) and then raising them up to fryers/roasters. i like the idea of knowing what goes into our food but thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom