Raising Meat Rabbits

give your doe a vacation in the summer, pregnancy increases body heat, measure the feed in the summer so they don't gain weight and not breed in the fall
If you have a temperature-controlled rabbitry and an adaptive feeding program, breeding can continue all year.

Last edited:
So, does anyone supplement pellets for growing meat kits? My first doe is due soon, silver fox breed. Their pellet feed is a 17% protein, plus they will get timothy hay for roughage. The mill I get their feed from also offers a 26% protein pellet to supplement, and recommends for lactating does as well as growing kits. I asked the guy at the feed store when I ordered last about it, and he said it is a product similar to calf-manna. But he was unsure whether there would be enough benefit from the supplement to offset cost, etc. Is it worth getting?

Also, I have not thus far added salt spools to their cages because I had read that most feeds contain enough. Should I offer them?

Hi,
I have been breeding my rabbits for 2 year's now maybe longer. And I feed my does supplmeets when they are pregnant. I feed them more veggies from the garden all throughout the pregnancy (As the do provide my compost /fertilizer )only fair and two week's befor due date I start the supplement milk. It keeps the girls happy and I don't see weight loss after birth. For long term I think it's better. My rabbits are new Zealand Whites. I average 8 kit's per litter, and I now have 10 breeding does and 3 buck's. So far no loss of life other than an a kit here and there. I do have one doe that eats some of the kit's tho and haven't figured that one out, she has done it 2x out of 4 times bread . I been mine as I want meat, so not back to back .

Hi,
I have been breeding my rabbits for 2 year's now maybe longer. And I feed my does supplmeets when they are pregnant. I feed them more veggies from the garden all throughout the pregnancy (As the do provide my compost /fertilizer )only fair and two week's befor due date I start the supplement milk. It keeps the girls happy and I don't see weight loss after birth. For long term I think it's better. My rabbits are new Zealand Whites. I average 8 kit's per litter, and I now have 10 breeding does and 3 buck's. So far no loss of life other than an a kit here and there. I do have one doe that eats some of the kit's tho and haven't figured that one out, she has done it 2x out of 4 times bread . I been mine as I want meat, so not back to back .
Nice! The eating kits thing is a bit weird. What else do you feed your does with kits besides the supplements? She may not be getting enough protein, and eating the kits to make up for it.

this seems like a reasonable purchase:

00p0p_4v8Xi8LxoMH_600x450.jpg

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/grd/5939996682.html

Hey there!

I absolutely love my rabbits. We raise chinchilla rabbits for meat, and also breed to standard and sell them. Rabbits are incredibly efficient as a source of meat, particularly if your space is limited.

We house ours in outdoor pens on ground level, about 10x5. They're against each other, so they socialize, but they can't dig out. When we built the pens, we put down chicken wire over the entire ground area eventually the dirt and grass covered the wire. They each have hutches that they can go in and out of to escape the elements, and to kindle.

I bought my original stock from a reputable breeder. Chinchillas aren't terribly common in the area.

Hey there!

I absolutely love my rabbits. We raise chinchilla rabbits for meat, and also breed to standard and sell them. Rabbits are incredibly efficient as a source of meat, particularly if your space is limited.

We house ours in outdoor pens on ground level, about 10x5. They're against each other, so they socialize, but they can't dig out. When we built the pens, we put down chicken wire over the entire ground area eventually the dirt and grass covered the wire. They each have hutches that they can go in and out of to escape the elements, and to kindle.

I bought my original stock from a reputable breeder. Chinchillas aren't terribly common in the area.
Cool! Are they purebreds? What type of chinchilla? Have you ever had a problem with rabbits breeding through the wire, since they are so close together? Your arrangement sounds like it works pretty well.

Back
Top Bottom