Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
I am so happy. I just bought a Red New Zealand Doe. She is 10 months old and pregnant. She will be a first time mom and the breeder recommended that I set up a place in the barn on the floor for her since the Reds don't always make very good first time moms and will have the babies on the wire. Having them in the barn helps since the babies will be warm no matter where she has them.

Awesome! Hope she's a good mom the first time.

American White and American blue babies. These little bundles were born on 3/14 so there are just about 3.5 weeks old in this photo. This first time mom has been a great mom. She is habituating with another Doe and litter mate. The other doe was bred but never got pregnant but the two live happily together with the little of babies in an 8 X 8 corner of the barn. I sexed them yesterday and it looks like 3 girls and 2 boys. The White is a boy. I was soooo hoping it was a girl.

Congratulations on your first New Zealand. On occasion I have had rabbits have there babies on the wire instead of in there nest box. If I catch it in time I pick the little fellows up and put them in the nest box. Once in a while when the Doe comes out from feeding the kits one will stay latched on and come out on the wire as well. Again if I catch it in time I pick the little sucker up and stick it back in the nest box. If the breeder told you the date of breeding about 21 days after the breed date put a nest box in for her to deliver in. The Nest box has to be big enough for her to be comfortable in or she will not use it. You will notice the Doe will pull a lot of hair just before having the kits. Note: I hope your barn floor is clean and dry and not cement or dirt. Good luck with your litter may it be a large health one.

My Californian doe had 9 babies today. So excited!! 1 of them was outside the nest and 2 were in the front of the nest and needed to be moved back with the others under her fur. But they are all alive, so glad I got there in time.

here they are, I was told the buck was a NZ, the others look like dwarf something. Anyone with an idea what they could be? I got all for $30 I like the one in the last pic most.

here they are, I was told the buck was a NZ, the others look like dwarf something. Anyone with an idea what they could be? I got all for $30 I like the one in the last pic most.
The dwarfs look like Netherlands. It is not recommended to breed dwarf does to a full size bucks. Ideally, the does should be bigger than the bucks. If the buck is bigger, it is best if the size difference is minimal.

Back
Top Bottom