Raising Meat Rabbits

Pics
@chiklee , Not sure what would cause that... My rabbit had hers spaced apart too. I think it is just nature. We just don't get the opportunity to watch rabbits birthing very often. Do you know what breed she is? She looks like mine and I have no idea what breed they are.

she is a Flemish giant agouti color this is her last litter she is 3 1/2 now and I think she is tiring out now.

It's that time of year... kits everywhere. :)

What would be the start up cost for starting with a male / female plus the hutches?

That is dependent on a number of things.
Around here (PA) I paid roughly $25-35 for each rabbit. Prices vary on location, breed and pedigree.
I use cages, need one for each @ about $40-50 each, plus water bottles and feeders, about $8 each. You will also need grow out pens in time, so double that.

Hutches can be built if you have cage wire and lumber, saving money. Ceramic bowls can be used for food and water but I feel add work keeping them clean.

I recommend two does, each in its own cage. If you need you will need a nest box that can be made of wood for very little.

Cages, hutches, and accessories often show up on craigslist in this area. Check there often for deals. If you can find someone local who shows rabbits and breeds, they will often sell show culls to meat breeders. They are fine for meat production, just have flaws for show (color, conformity, etc.)

So I would say roughly $100-200 can get you started comfortably depending on how fancy you want to go.

I use 2 grow out pens for every 2-3 does. I breed 2-3 to Kindle at the same time and that way when I wean I sort them all by sex into 2 groups. All 8 week old bucks go in one pen and all 8 week old does in another. No chance if breeding that way. We butcher at 12-16 weeks.

Does anyone know of a commercial buyers meat Rabbits in Texas or Oklahoma?

Sorry, not from that area. But up here (Michigan) some shows invite a processor and people bring their culls for them. They pay us the going rate per lb.

If thats how it works down there, best bet is to go on the arba.net website. Look for shows in your area, should have contact numbers for the show secretary. Call a few and ask.

Up here i believe the processor was from ohio, I've been out of rabbits for a few years so maybe its changed. Anyway with the distance it wasnt worth a breeder to travel and turn in a few. But its worth it to the buyer to travel to a show if they know theirs a lot of people who'll turn some in.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Help! I've got a Californian doe that should have kindled yesterday but didn't. (My first time breeding her but not her 1st litter) She decided to pull all the hay out of her nest box and drop 8 kits on the wire of her cage while I was at work today. I added hay and the hair she pulled to the nest box and put them back inside. Now she's pulling the hay back out. She seems very agitated. Suggestions?!

Back
Top Bottom