Raising naturly hatched turkey poults

Lisa Florida chickMom

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 9, 2011
Springhill, Fl
mybhens eggs are hatching and a need to know what kind of water will be safe for the poults and can the tom stay with them. They are in a 12x12 run , the tom has had no access to the nest but once the babies are coming out he will be in with them. Will the poults drown themselves in a normal watered like when you have them in a brooder? How to have water for both parents and poults.

mybhens eggs are hatching and a need to know what kind of water will be safe for the poults and can the tom stay with them. They are in a 12x12 run , the tom has had no access to the nest but once the babies are coming out he will be in with them. Will the poults drown themselves in a normal watered like when you have them in a brooder? How to have water for both parents and poults.
I use a chick waterer such as this or even the same type in a 5 gallon size.

I don't recommend having a tom in with the newly hatched poults. Some people have had success with the tom in the same run. The problem is that a tom can be a seemingly great father and then one day just goes off and kills all the poults. It may not happen with yours but it has happened in some cases. If you let the tom in with them, watch them closely and always be alert to any changes in behavior.

I use a chick waterer such as this or even the same type in a 5 gallon size.

I don't recommend having a tom in with the newly hatched poults. Some people have had success with the tom in the same run. The problem is that a tom can be a seemingly great father and then one day just goes off and kills all the poults. It may not happen with yours but it has happened in some cases. If you let the tom in with them, watch them closely and always be alert to any changes in behavior.
Do I need to,put rocks in thevwaterer to,keep them from drowning in it?

Back
Top Bottom