Raising on the ground question

They sure are little pooping machines. I just built my first ever compost box just to have somewhere to dump it all, and I've only got 8 quail!
1f606.png
Course now I'm in love with the little buggers and I've gone and ordered a dozen eggs to incubate. I sure would love to have a whole slew of them like you're planning JRNash! You'll have to let us know what you come up with and how it works out.
1f424.png
1f424.png
1f424.png

So I've read a lot of posts and articles by people who like to keep their quails on the ground. It's more natural and they can scratch and dig, I love the idea. But the hubby won't let me erect a huge aviary so I bought a nice little A-frame portable coop similar to the one pictured. So here's my question... how do I deal with poop AND predators? These lil buggers (coturnix) POOP SO FREAKIN' MUCH that I cannot imagine how disgusting this tiny little patch will get if I set this thing in a permanent spot... but I'm not sure how to keep them safe if I'm moving it every few days.
1f615.png
I thought about putting in a mesh bottom, but then they can't really scratch and dig, and I wouldn't be able to put it over patches of leafy ground cover like I would like to. I'll install hardware cloth over the existing wire, and if I stake it down really well that should be enough to keep the racoons out, but what about foxes? Anybody have any brilliant ideas to keep diggers out without me having to dig up a new patch of my yard every few days?

I use an apron for chicken tractors. This is my tractor that shows the apron in the first few pics, with boards laying on top to hold it down.

Edit: forgot to copy link from my signature line, https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hoop-tractor

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom