Raising Pigeons

Quote:
As soon as I get the pigeons I will get some pics for you to identify. Snakeman said they didn't look anything like the common homers we already have. Hey maybe we will have some nice birds after all.

I do know about the feeding problem with pigs so I'm staying on top of it. When Pitunia screams to eat and its not time yet I give her carrot sticks and stuff like that. She seems O.K. with it. I also have her on Mini Pig which is food especially for PBPs.

Just to clear up one thing, the wild pigeon are what are call commonie , not homers. Just little info.

Yes post some pics.

Commonies that are hatched and raised here will they home?

Quote:
All you guys and gals on this thread have giving my good info. I would let them fly around here first than take them I think it was a quarter mile in each direction to train them. Is this correct.?

Yes let them get to know their area. Like I said unless good homer they will get lost.

I take mine same direction, one mile then 2 miles, then 5 miles, and so on.

Quote:
I will be scarred for them but things here have been rather grim, things out of my control. My SO still doesn't want me to try it. I know the day it actually happens I will be terrified myself. I feel like I need to move on and make some happy plans for my life and I beleive I will enjoy doing this.

Sarah, have Snakeman build you a nice large flight cage, somewhere between 10' - 20' long and about 5' wide and at least 6' tall. Make sure to have some sort of cover on it to keep them in it as well. Place perches in the corners furthest away from the coop. This will encourage them to fly and give then some exercise in preparation for them to fly free. Also it will give them a chance to safely view their surroundings and learn them initially.

At first just let them fly around your property, don't feed them much before you release them, just a little bit of grain. Once they are out and flying fill their feed hoppers and replenish the waterers with fresh water.

One of the tricks that some pigeon flyers use to get their birds back into the loft is to use a whistle when they feed. The birds get used to the whistle and come to associate it with being fed. They then use the whistle to call their birds back into the loft when they feel they have flown free long enough.

To get them used to going through the trap, you can leave the bobs up, and place some grain on the landing board leading into the loft. Once they get used to going through the trap, you can lower the bobs, and place some grain on the inside so they have to go through the bobs to get to it. They will get used to the bobs rather quickly and head straight for the feed and water hoppers.

Once they get used to their home turf, you can start taking them on short distances away from your home and release them. Don't feed them beforehand. By not feeding them it will encourage them to head for home and food and water. When you are training them to home to your loft, make sure that you take them in all directions from your loft. This way your birds will be less likely to get lost and learn their home territory from any direction. Do it for each step up in distance that you release them from.

Good luck!

Hello, I might get homer pigeons in a couple weeks. My parents arnt convinced I should get them. They think pigeons poop alot,which is true. I would plan on keeping then on a concrete floor 4×5ft pen. Is there a good easy way to clean their poop? Also what are some positives of pigeons, I'm kinda knew to them
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom