Raising Pigeons

chixrus

Songster
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
I have recently been interested in pigeons, especially fantails. However, there are not very many pigeon books or web pages out there, so I have been at a loss for what pigeons need to survive and the pros and (if there are any) cons of raising them. If you have any tips, please share!

frow.gif
I breed and raise white fantails and i love them
celebrate.gif

They are very easy to own and raise all you need is a nice large pen to put them in and provide them a nest. They are very cold hardy but do require protection from the cold wind.
Feeding them everybody is different in their feeding i use a high quality bird seed mix and add safflower to that. You can use layer pellets or pigeon feed it's up to you and you will need red grit.
They will breed at about 6 months and they hatch in 18 days both will sit on the eggs and feed the young.

If you have a specific question please ask i also raise Shield Owls and Arc angels.
smile.png

Thanks oegblady! Do you know a specific place in the Northern IL/Southern Wisconsin area that I can get them? If you don't live in that area, that's fine, but if you happen to know, please tell me!

oops! I just realized that you're in Georgia! Well, if you know anyone who might ship to IL, that would work too!

Sorry i sure don't
sad.png
But maybe you could start a new topic and ask that question
smile.png

I do highly recommend pigeons they are whole lot of fun and profitable too.
ya.gif

The only negative is they are very poopy they just really do that alot
sickbyc.gif

If you are refering to takeing them in the house the answer is no. If you are refering do they roost yes i provide mine with a stick to roost on at night. They perch most of the day when there not eating or stretching their wings.

Do Fantails come back if they are let outside free? Can you keep them with other poultry such as chickens, or is that not a good idea?

Back
Top Bottom