Raising Pigeons

I recently adopted a pair of pigeons, there former owner died. I have no idea what kind they are but they are sitting on eggs right now. Its pretty cold here, cold for Alabama anyway. Is this normal? Do they hatch year around?

Quote:
Pigeons will breed year round if you let them. Usually, most people who raise them for show, racing, or flying will only let them raise at most three clutches before seperating the pair so they can rest and rebuild their strength and go through the molt.

The usual procedure is to provide two nests per pair, a box 24"L x18"H x 16"D divided in two will work for most pigeons. A 4'Wx8'Lx6'H flight will work for several pairs. If you have birds like Fantails, Pouters or some of the other fancy breeds you might want to provide some sort of platform or shelf for them to parade on. You can enclose one end of the flight and put the nests in there as well as the food and water and grit.

During warm months you will want to place a shallow basin in the flight so that they can bathe. A couple of sturdy roosts out in the flight area far enough apart and to the sides so they have to fly to them.

Quote:
Pigeons will breed year round if you let them. Usually, most people who raise them for show, racing, or flying will only let them raise at most three clutches before seperating the pair so they can rest and rebuild their strength and go through the molt.

The usual procedure is to provide two nests per pair, a box 24"L x18"H x 16"D divided in two will work for most pigeons. A 4'Wx8'Lx6'H flight will work for several pairs. If you have birds like Fantails, Pouters or some of the other fancy breeds you might want to provide some sort of platform or shelf for them to parade on. You can enclose one end of the flight and put the nests in there as well as the food and water and grit.

During warm months you will want to place a shallow basin in the flight so that they can bathe. A couple of sturdy roosts out in the flight area far enough apart and to the sides so they have to fly to them.

Thanks for the info. We got the pen part right. Didn't know about the hatching or the basin for bathing.

Good info , reason for the two nest boxes. They will lay the 2nd. round of eggs when the other young are about 2 weeks old.

Also use a nest bowl, as pigeon dont build the best nest. Pine needles make good nesting materal.

Just curious, why red grit? What is the differene in regular chicken grit? Color? Why do pigeons need different grit. I have one sitting on an egg, one egg busted so I can't move them into the condo we built for them yet but once the baby is born is it safe to move them then. They have room now but not much room for flying. Hope you guys don't mind all the question. I'm finding I REALLY like these pigeons. I will get pics and maybe you guys can tell me what kind they are. I coo at the male and he puts on a nice song and dance then he will jump on the wire and try and get close to my face but the female does not do this. The male is something else. I want more pigeons. Thanks guys!!

SARA

Quote:
Sara, I use the gray grit, it has pieces of charcoal and oyster shell already in it. Sometimes I will use the red grit if my store is out of the the gray grit and I am totally out.

You could move them now, before the chick is hatched, they may or may not abandon the egg, but I rather doubt it. If you move them now, move the male first so he can inspect the nest site. As to moving them once the chick is hatched, I would wait a few days afterwards. As these are the only two that you have then it probably would be safe to move them to the new location, just make sure you move the hen and chick together and place them in the nest first and then bring the male over. Move the material in the current nest with them so that the new nest is familiar to them. Pigeons like to pick the highest nest area they can, and they are not the greatest nest builders either.

As to the male doing what he is doing when you coo to him, he is either looking at you as a potential mate, even though he already has one at "home" with a baby, or he is trying to drive you away from the nesting area. I tend to lean towards the first explanation more than the second. While they tend to be somewhat monogamous, a male is not above chasing after another female that is apparently available.

Back
Top Bottom