Raising Pigeons

Quote:
Thanks Chuck, it's been real hard on me with Sadie not here. I can get some pics soon. Hopefully I want take to the bed to long. What is worring me the most is I'm anorexic and its real easy to go back to starving myself. I'm giving myself pep talks and I have therapy and all. I have so much life around me I just have to pick myself up and go on.

What I was wondering is once you get the bands do you have to register the bands somewhere in case your pigeon is lost. Snakeman is not really excited about homing them. He says that if one doesn't show up in 30 seconds I will want to go out looking for it. The thing about his statement is he is probably right. I am excited about the possibilities though. I'm looking forward to the project. I think it will be fun.

Sara,

The young birds can be allowed to fly loose once they have fledged, like deerman said. Unfortunately the older birds, if they were used to another loft will try to home to them. The young ones will fly around your home.

You can register the bands with the NPA if you want, but it's not really necessary if you don't intend on racing or showing the birds.
Once you have several young birds of your own, you can try releasing just one of the parents with them to fly, but I wouldn't recommend it. If they are setting on eggs or raising young they will return to the nest site usually, but not always.

:
Quote:
Sorry oegblady, but we cant alway agree, but you right we do seem that way.

Sorry to do so again, I do use the zip ties on peafowl. Until they are older then metal leg bands.

Now in the case of pigeon, seamless leg band mark what year they were hatch and etc. Unbanded birds could be stolen birds. More than that they can not be showed or raced. They can be track back to you if lost.

I myself will never buy unbanded pigeons.

These bands can only be place on the squeaker around 10 day old. They also dont make them before Jan.1 st. of that year. People cant sell you a old bird as a young one, or show or race old birds as young birds.

Sure dont mean to disrespect you, Just been messing with birds soon to be 50 years.
hugs.gif

You should see parakeets,and cockatiel babies all different ages in a nest box. Nothing wrong with pulling the first egg just need to make sure they have one to set on wood or plastic.

I have had pigeons for years and have found that once they have a nest site and have babies they can usually be trusted to fly around on their own and will return. Look up Slobberknockersloft on the web. its a neat pigeon place. I have about twenty pairs of Roller pigeons that have either eggs or babies right now. They are so much fun to watch. Beware tho,they are addictive!

Quote:
Most breeds yes, but with good homers very hard to break them to another loft. Yes it has been done, but with great birds alway a risk of them homing to the old loft.

Try breaking a pair after I had them for 4 years. Pull half the flight feather. Guess what the breeder I got the birds from called me they were there after 2 weeks. He live 50 miles from me. Yes they had squeaker in the nest, had to put them under other birds.

If trying with real good homers, make sure you raise all you need from them before you try.

Quote:
I agree i love my pigeons and they are very addictive i love to watch my fantails do their mateing dance.

Deerman i don't show and my pigeons are not show pigeons i just love raiseing them. I use zip ties the small ones to help me know my pairs when i breed them.
I also have had babys pushed from the nest by a older sibling and had them even peck at the smaller one so i know what i was referring too.
I have been breeding for 2 years and learned all i know from a man thats been raceing homers for 40 years.
I feel i can always learn new things and appreciate the advice of others but it is not my place to correct everyones post as if they are wrong and i'm right.
We all have our own ways of careing and dealing with our birds and that is the way it should be and i for one respect that!
I guess with all your expert advice and us seemigly to not know what we are saying and doing then us trying to post with advice or comments is just a waste of time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oeqblady, I am not here trying to correct post. will give my side, even if someone disagree.

Never had a pigeon nest mate hurt another, and my nest box have fronts so no knocking one from the nest.
Have had them hurt my older birds when they leave the nest.

No I am not always right, but any information I post has worked for me.

I gave the reason for using seamless band, plus their cost is very low.

I hope the advice I give has help members.

BAD advice is worse than no advice.

If someone post that chicken eggs hatch after 10 days incubation. Should we let that go and let members throw their eggs away.

NOT, would post that they hatch at 21 + or - 2 days.

If I follow some advice, I would lose birds worth hundreds.

Have a nice day
smile.png

Sara you can use NPA band, most unband birds dont sell as well.

You have no plans to race, no need to use AU band. You can use homer size bands on other breed with the clean legs near the homer size.

Back
Top Bottom