Raising rescued baby wood ducks

Kelly Martin

Hatching
Jun 27, 2017
We rescued wood duck eggs and incubated them. 7 hatched! They are now 5 1/2 weeks old and thriving. I have a friend that has a large pond that I will release them at when they are ready. What age should I release them? When do they start to fly? I have them on duck starter food- do they stay on that until the are 16 weeks? Or do I need to switch to a different food sooner? I currently give them kale and worms for treats also. Thank you in advance for any help!

Raising wild ducks in captivity usually leads to death as once released they dont know how to properly fine food as there mother would teach them.I believe you have to have a permit to release wild birds too.As suggested contact your local waterfowl rehab or your local game and fish department for the best advice.May i ask why you took the eggs?

Sure here you go: we own a Tree Service business and we're taking out 12 trees on a property, found the nest in a tree before we cut it down. We took the eggs because there were no more trees left to try to put the nest back in. They wld have NEVER had a chance if I did not take them. That's why I put "rescued" the eggs on my original post. I wld never have taken them for "fun". They are a huge commitment and I have done a good job saving them. Thanks for the "help".

Raising wild ducks in captivity usually leads to death as once released they dont know how to properly fine food as there mother would teach them.I believe you have to have a permit to release wild birds too.As suggested contact your local waterfowl rehab or your local game and fish department for the best advice.May i ask why you took the eggs?

Sure here you go: we own a Tree Service business and we're taking out 12 trees on a property, found the nest in a tree before we cut it down. We took the eggs because there were no more trees left to try to put the nest back in. They wld have NEVER had a chance if I did not take them. That's why I put "rescued" the eggs on my original post. I wld never have taken them for "fun". They are a huge commitment and I have done a good job saving them. Thanks for the "help".

Im sorry if my post sounded mean.But im just trying to explain the danger of releasing them back into the wild.It would've been wise to give the eggs to a wildlife rehabilitator.Saving them is not going to matter if you release them back into the wild.

Back
Top Bottom