Raising smart boys

jonathansenn

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
East Dublin, GA
Yesterday while gather eggs with Jon Eric (my 9 y/o) the rooster was getting his "freak"
D.gif
on with one of the hens in the corner. Needless to say is was a commotion that caught my son's attention. He asked what was going on and I told him they were fighting. I was just wondering what interesting question others have had because of chicken behavior.

I suppose I'm different.

I would have told my 9 year old that they were mating. That the rooster was fertilizing the hen's eggs.

Then we would have had a discussion about the chickens and the bees.

Quote:
I agree with you, at 9 I would have told him they were mating, then waited to see if there would be more questions.

I've had this happen numerous times...I just say they are playing, and that chickens play differently than humans do! It's the truth!
wink.png

I say a lot of it depends on the maturity of the boy, for some kids 9 is a good age to talk about the chickens and the bees, and others it is still a bit early. It is up to the better judgment of the parent.

Last edited:
Quote:
I agree with you, at 9 I would have told him they were mating, then waited to see if there would be more questions.

I thought about that, but there is much "machismo" with this one. I would have answered many questions that he's not ready for yet.

Obviosly, only YOU know if he's ready for "the talk."

But, back to the interesting questions you get...it amazes me to this day. My brother asked me just this week, "Do they fly?" Umm....how do you think they got into the chicken tree?

chickentiretree.jpg

Quote:
My 9 year old would have told me they are mating. He loves Animal Planet and once some tortises at the zoo were mating. Which he told to everyone we passed.

My boys freaked out at the site and wanted to hit the rooster because they said he was hurting the hen.I said no no they are just wrestling.Ugh I think it's about time I told our 10 yr old though lol
th.gif
Then my 7 yr old will know all about it because his brother can't keep his mouth shut.Already ruined it about Santa,tooth fairy,ect. for him.Oh dear
smack.gif

Back
Top Bottom