Raising turkeys in the City?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by junkprospector, Nov 28, 2008.

1. junkprospector

junkprospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Boise, ID
    Recently I started thinking about raising turkeys - I live in the city, back yard is fenced and about .25 acres. I was contemplating starting in the spring with something like 2 turkeys - just to see how it goes & do somne research throughout the winter. I guess my first question is - would raising these turkeys be possible in the backyard? When they were poults I was thinking of keeping them in my shop, then just letting them roam the backyard once they were older. Is this a rediculous thing to consider?
    Thanks for the advise.
    John

2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    I'd ask your city ordinance first, as turkeys are pretty smelly and noisey-- your neighbors may not appreciate that and complain. Otherwise they may be a good idea, however they will roam out of your yard if you dont have a tall enough fence. Ours used to go to our neighbors house and roost on their porch railing they really didnt appreciate that (poo...).

3. junkprospector

junkprospector Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2008
    Boise, ID
    hmmm - good to know. I never considered the smell. And the fence height... we have only a 4 foot chainlink fence separating our house from the neighbors...I'll check the ordinances as well.

4. lobb40118

lobb40118 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    I live in the city and have 2 peafowl (a cock and a hen) they are not messy really. I have them in a pen though and they can not free range. They have a 4'x10' coop of sorts(a pvc and chicken wire pen wrapped on 3 sides and the top in tarps with a roost made from 2 sawhorses and straw bedding) attached to a 7.5'x13' for a total of 137.5 square feet. I have had them for about 2 months and they are doing fine and have a lot of space so the mess is minor(the apples that fall on my neighbors side of the fence and Rot smell way worse). I would not put anymore in there though because I do not want to take from their space and have read that 140 square feet is about minimum for a breeding pair. So far no real noise issues because it is not mating season and I bought them shortly after, so i will keep you posted. They are roughly the size of turkeys but I am a pure amature when it comes to poultry. I would say

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by