1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Raising turkeys with chickens...blackhead ?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by zekii, Mar 13, 2012.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    What's the prevalence of blackhead when raising turkeys along with other poultry ?
    I am going to try to keep my turkeys seperate, but since I don't have acres and acres of property it is going to be a little tough not to have them integrate at times.

I read somewhere than spreading lime on the ground can help kill or control some poultry
    deseases, anyone here use this and what has you success been ?

2. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    See if anyone in your local area raises them together and check with your state ag extension. A lot of us raise them together with no problems, but some do have a problem with it and it can be devastating. If you do have it there, even having them on the same property can expose them. Any poop tracked from one spot to another, earthworms and other soil critters can move it around too. I think the way that lime could help is by deterring the earthworms, but I could be wrong...

3. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Plenty people here raise chickens, turkeys, duck, horses, cows ..etc.. together with no issues noted, I think alot of issues with diseases comes down to proper sanitation.

4. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by