Raising turkeys with chickens...blackhead ?

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
What's the prevalence of blackhead when raising turkeys along with other poultry ?
I am going to try to keep my turkeys seperate, but since I don't have acres and acres of property it is going to be a little tough not to have them integrate at times.

I read somewhere than spreading lime on the ground can help kill or control some poultry
deseases, anyone here use this and what has you success been ?

See if anyone in your local area raises them together and check with your state ag extension. A lot of us raise them together with no problems, but some do have a problem with it and it can be devastating. If you do have it there, even having them on the same property can expose them. Any poop tracked from one spot to another, earthworms and other soil critters can move it around too. I think the way that lime could help is by deterring the earthworms, but I could be wrong...

Plenty people here raise chickens, turkeys, duck, horses, cows ..etc.. together with no issues noted, I think alot of issues with diseases comes down to proper sanitation.

See if anyone in your local area raises them together and check with your state ag extension.  A lot of us raise them together with no problems, but some do have a problem with it and it can be devastating.  If you do have it there, even having them on the same property can expose them.  Any poop tracked from one spot to another, earthworms and other soil critters can move it around too.  I think the way that lime could help is by deterring the earthworms, but I could be wrong...  

x2

Back
Top Bottom