Raising up Pyrenees pups. UPDATE P7

Good luck!!!
tongue.png

Quote:
lau.gif
Yes I was still in my PJ's when I went out. That yellow coat is the most amazing coat as far as warmth. It's down and my pink hat was the one I grabbed. I keep my Lhasa's sheared on the back end and when you mentioned the Prys get soiled I just figured i might as well prevent it before it began. The girls were very very good when I was grooming them.

th.gif
I am officially pooped
th.gif

I am estimating that I am spending 3.5 - 4 hrs a day with the girls. I have forgotten how much work a puppy is and of course there are two. I do see some differences in this breed than any other breed I have had. They do have a mind of their own. I call them and they just look at me and go about their business. I started carrying treats around with me and reward them when they come or follow a command. Good news is that usually when they ignore me it's because they are in their favorite spot, right beside the chicken coop.

I work full time and have the chickens, ducks, geese, goat, other dogs and my kids to deal with. I'm not going to talk about the house or laundry.
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif
th.gif

I wanted to post an update as to how things have been going and what I have been doing to 'hopefully' train good LGD's.

I put the girls outside full time two weeks ago. They each have a doghouse and a tie out, their daily routine is as follows.

They get let out of the run at 7 am and do chores with me in the morning, I feed and water the chickens, ducks, geese, goats and other animals. I don't know if this really helps in the LGD training but it gives them extra time to run about and play. After all chores are done Sequoia and Genevieve get bfast. I chose Innova Large breed puppy food (until I am prepared to raw feed). It is a very good (kibble wise) and I'm hoping it gives them a great start in life. I do not let them eat free will and they gobble up bfast and anything left gets taken away and given at dinner.

I then put the girls on their leashes by each dog house for the rest of my work day. I stop back in at lunch to check on them but do not let them off the leash. I want them separated because this is when I teach them sit, stay, down commands. Sequoia is doing very good with commands but Genevieve will only listen when she wants to.

After work I take the girls on a walk in the meadow, we go around the perimeter where the 4 legged stocks will be housed. I am hoping this will get the girls in the habit of working this parameter when they are grown. I have no idea if it will work but it makes sense to me. I have never trained LGD's before nor have I had one. After the walk it's dinner time and I feed the girls usually the geese and chickens want a taste and Sequoia and Genevieve are very gracious and let them have a taste. They never growl, bark or try to chase they just eat, look up now and again at the chickens (Caroline is usually the chicken wanting a taste
big_smile.png
) I never have my camera when this happens but I will get a photo of it and post. It is very encouraging to me when I see how the girls react to the chickens while eating. It's like they aren't even there.

After dinner I do evening chores and let the girls run around, we only have a little over an hour of daylight by the time I get home but weekends our routine is different and they get 3 walks and a lot of free roaming time with all the animals. I do have to keep very close eyes on them and intervene when they make chase. When it gets dark and the chickens go to roost I shut the doors to the coop and put Sequoia and Genevieve into the chicken run, they sleep under the coop and I close the run gate. They really like it in the run and play at good bit of the night. They do bark if they hear anything at all. I feel good about the safety of my chickens with them in the run at night.

Sequoia likes to be around me all the time and will listen to my commands most the time. Genevieve likes to sit on the bank overlooking the land and animals. She wanders off more than Sequoia and doesn't always come when called; on the other hand Sequoia always comes when called. Both girls still chase the chickens, geese and rabbits. They don't nip or bite at them (they could get a mouth full if they wanted) They cannot be trusted to be alone with the chickens. If I have the chickens free ranging the girls are on their leashes and I don't have any problems. It's when everyone is free roaming that I have to keep a very close eye. I really hope that at age 18 months I will have true LGD's. I decided against using treats for positive reinforcement and use petting and praise instead.

I have a feeling that Genevieve is going to be my best LGD. I just see that in her now, she does not have as much interest in me that Sequoia has. Genevieve loves attention and to be pet and cooed at but she is happier to be laying on the hill and at the wood line.

Here is a pic of Sequoia sitting on my command and Genevieve just looking at me like " I don't feel like sitting so I am not going to no matter what you say"
gig.gif

107179_pyrenees_038.jpg

Here is one of my favorite photos of them just for cuteness

107179_pups.jpg

Last edited:
I've enjoyed reading this thread. I have my great pyr reserved. She was born Dec. 5th, and I will get her in February. I've read a lot about training an LGD, but I've never done it. So I will keep up with what you're doing with your two. Good luck!

Quote:
How exciting you have a pup reserved!
ya.gif
You have to post pics when you get him/her?
fl.gif
Maybe we can swap training ideas.

I have been reading a lot too and it's good to have an idea base when you actually get a pyr. It has helped me a lot knowing how they behave.

I have never used any type of discipline with the girls. So far I have only tried training them with praise. If they do not do what I want they get no praise and I walk away from them. It has been going good, Genevieve will listen to me at times but if she wants to do something else she does it.

I wanted to name the other pup maysean (not sure on the spelling)which is german for beautiful girl. I have German in my bloodlines but I was out voted.
hu.gif

You're probably thinking of the word "Mädchen"and it just means "girl" in German. "Beautiful girl" would be "schönes Mädchen".​

Last edited:
Quote:
You're probably thinking of the word "Mädchen"and it just means "girl" in German. "Beautiful girl" would be "schönes Mädchen".

Yes I probably was, can't remember the spelling as I saw it online it did mean beautiful girl. I named her Genevieve though but she doen't listen to me very often when I call her, maybe I should have chosen "Madchen" she might have listened better
lau.gif

Beautiful puppies!
love.gif
Good luck on the training, things sound promising.
thumbsup.gif
I've wanted a pyr for over four years now, I hope 2012 will be the year!

Back
Top Bottom