Raising up Pyrenees pups. UPDATE P7

Quote:
Just wait for it ... Pyr teenagers get a little crazy in the head, at least ours did. There were a number of months when we where ready bring the dog to a shelter. In fact, I almost put a shock collar on the dog because she would just not listen and kept chasing the birds. But, by 1.5 yrs she finally matured.

Jim

I wish I knew how to multiple quote but I don't so I will try to reply to the recent posts by memory.

I did not think about squeaky toys sounding like chicks, I will be pulling those away now! I did get rawhide chew toys.

I came back in here to post the names actually and they are Sequoia and Genevieve. Sequoia means came from the great redwoods and is American Indian which is in my husbands mothers bloodlines, her dad was part Cherokee Indian. Genevieve means the fair one. I wanted to name the other pup maysean (not sure on the spelling)which is german for beautiful girl. I have German in my bloodlines but I was out voted.
hu.gif

I did see some more puppy business out of them when we got home from the vet. I think they we just nervous of the new home. I am going to start the training in the morning. I will take them on 20 ft leads with me to do chores in the morning. I hope I can keep my sanity during the teen years. Sounds like they aren't much different from raising teenage boys, I've been tempted to send them to a rescue mission too.
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif

I will keep this thread updated on my progress with imprinting my birds and the pups. I am going to need all of the Pry owners here to help me along the way.
thumbsup.gif

I took the pups up to the coop on Saturday and had them with me while I did chores. The really liked being around the coop and would not follow me anywhere else. I think it reminded them of their birthplace. I can't figure out any other reason for them not wanting to leave the coop area. I know they did not imprint that quickly and I think the animals just reminded them of their farm.

The pups did well with the chicks, they did start to play with some of the chickens and I just in a non aggressive way just said "Genevieve leave it" and she stopped and turned her attention quickly to something else. I did this every time either of them started showing interest in the chickens. It worked well every time they would want to start to chase or play. The sniffed out the goat and the goat did rear up against them but no contact took place. I told the girls to leave it and they quickly put their attention elsewhere. All in all I am happy with the first weekend. Here are some pics.
The last pic is how I groomed the backside to keep it soil free. I have to do this with my Lhasa Apso's and I think it will help to keep the pups clean as I have read that the coat back there does get soiled. The girls would be ashamed if they knew I posted a pic of them like that.
gig.gif
gig.gif

107179_pyrenees_001.jpg

107179_pyrenees_007.jpg

107179_pyrenees_005.jpg

107179_pyrenees_002.jpg

107179_pyrenees_011.jpg

AllCoop'dUp :

While I appreciate your enthusiam, before you pick up your puppies, please read up on “Littermate Syndrome”. I also hope that you will rethink your position regarding spaying your girls. Especially, if as you say "don't have the health certifications" that come with a pup through a breeder. No reputable breeder would continue to breed for less than desirable qualities in their dogs. What is your plan to keep male dogs away when both girls come in heat so they do not “accidently” become bred with the Heinz 57 down the road? After waiting 2 years, I just got a Pyr puppy who is now 4 months old. After 1 month alone with the poultry, he play a duck and goose to death. Leaves the chickens alone, thank goodness. I foresee spending the next 18 months monitoring him very closely to ensure he is taught correctly. When my older non-LGD passes, I will then get a female LGD, but not to breed. I’ll leave that to the experts.

x2 I cant even imagine trying to keep male dogs away, while the dogs are trying to work. Once they are in heat they are going to want to see the boys and will most likely forget about their "job". Its like setting them up for failure.
I good friend of mines female dog ate through two walls to get to the males outside.
Cute babies....... and good luck to you. I have had multiple puppies to train before. You go girl. I am tired thinking about it.​

Quote:
x2 I cant even imagine trying to keep male dogs away, while the dogs are trying to work. Once they are in heat they are going to want to see the boys and will most likely forget about their "job". Its like setting them up for failure.
I good friend of mines female dog ate through two walls to get to the males outside.
Cute babies....... and good luck to you. I have had multiple puppies to train before. You go girl. I am tired thinking about it.

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I know this is a public forum and its hard to get a read on people but I do seriously know what I am doing with these two dogs. They pretty much are going to be separated ALL the time. One will be in the meadow 5 acres away and one will be by the coop. I will spay one of the dogs but not sure which one yet. I also will only breed if I see the traits I want to pass on. My goal is a working dog that protects my flock. I could care less if the dog meets breed standard as far as head shape, eye color, or what have you. Frankly I personally don't think that breeding a dog to prance around a show ring is the best case. Breeding a dog for a purpose is more my cup of tea. If no one breeds quality working dogs who are working farms and protecting livestock where would we be. I know so many people huff and puff over breeding dogs. I have a purpose for any litter I breed. And incidentally I will only be getting one litter EVER from these pups. I want to keep my own LGD on my property for decades to come and I want them to be bred for what they were intended for and I intend to do exactly that. It's pretty much common sense that strays will want to come into my yard. Afterall a dog can smell a heat 50 miles away.

If they want to take the heat from my electric fence and then contend with my other fixed female and male LGD's I suppose that will be that poor suckers choice. Not to mention that I will have her locked up most likely in a stall and they will have to go past a donkey to get to her. I don't believe I will have a problem keeping her from being bred until I am the one to make that choice. It's really not that difficult to keep a ***** sequestered. There are only two - 5 days she will allow a male to mount anyway. The only way to set them up for failure is to do nothing and allow them to run free. I have more common sense than that not to mention a responsibility to my dogs and their health. I do love them after all.

Last edited:
Well on second thought no donkey, too much risk involved there but i do aim to keep her safe when in heat.

Um, I must say keeping the back end of the Pyrs clean is a great idea. They tend to get mats fast and the dogs need to allow you clean that area, maybe even trim the area.

Also, very colorful chore clothes you have there
lol.png

Jim

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom