Ramp help!

MadThom

In the Brooder
Mar 15, 2022
So we are remodeling our existing coop and run to be more predator proof. We do have an existing building (treehouse) that would be a great place to make a sturdy coop. To get up and down from the coop to enclosed area below, I will need to build a ramp. Is there a height that is too tall for them to want to walk up/down? It is about 4 ft. If I make the slant as gentle as possible, do y’all think they will use it?

A ramp isn't the only way to get chickens into a coop. Since a ramp to reach four-foot high entrance would need to be five or six feet long, perhaps steps would work out better. This is how I've solved the problem inside my run to make access to a coop entrance at at uphill end of my run.

With imagination, you can fashion steps out of most anything. Cement blocks, wood, tree stumps, etc.

If you still want to use a ramp, just be sure you fasten cleats at intervals so the chickens won't slip and slide trying to go up it and make it no steeper than a 45 degree angle.

Steps are a good solution for an elevated coop.

Longer ramp with 1-2 landings can work too. The lighter chickens will fly up to the landings (once they get used to it.). I recommend a wider platform - not just a step, for any landings and for the area around the pop door.

Cleats on the ramp will help. We used some roof shingles on a ramp once before to help with tractions. Not overlapped like on a roof, just the shingles to cover the ramp surface, then add some thin pieces of wood across for additional traction.

4 foot isn't a huge distance for them to jump up on. Ours is around 3' with a 10" wide board with cleats. They don't really walk up anything. They hop up to the top of the ramp and walk in my door (can't fly in to the small door I have). I agree the steps would be good for them to hop up. I'm sure I could get away with just putting a landing pad out in front of the door and having them just hop up to it, but they still got a ramp.

A ramp isn't the only way to get chickens into a coop. Since a ramp to reach four-foot high entrance would need to be five or six feet long, perhaps steps would work out better. This is how I've solved the problem inside my run to make access to a coop entrance at at uphill end of my run.

With imagination, you can fashion steps out of most anything. Cement blocks, wood, tree stumps, etc.

If you still want to use a ramp, just be sure you fasten cleats at intervals so the chickens won't slip and slide trying to go up it and make it no steeper than a 45 degree angle.
Is there anyway you can show me what your ramp looks like?

4 foot isn't a huge distance for them to jump up on. Ours is around 3' with a 10" wide board with cleats. They don't really walk up anything. They hop up to the top of the ramp and walk in my door (can't fly in to the small door I have). I agree the steps would be good for them to hop up. I'm sure I could get away with just putting a landing pad out in front of the door and having them just hop up to it, but they still got a ramp.
Ok I think I will try some steps! Thank y’all!

BA5C92CB-EDDB-4869-AD71-0847478878B1.jpeg
7DDADB2D-3BF9-4438-A531-6161846F21AD.jpeg
Steps are a good way to conserve space. I didn't wish to take up half the space in this run with a ramp long enough to access the three foot high pop hole. I used 1" x 4" lumber and metal shelf brackets. There's no limit to how many steps you can have with this plan.

Not visible are the metal shelf brackets on the underside of the top step that attaches to the vertical back of the second step. I other words, if I wanted to add a third step, I would attach a shelf bracket to the horizontal underside of the second step and then attach it to the vertical back of the third step. The undersides of the steps are the flip side of the tops of the steps.

Last edited:
View attachment 3025717View attachment 3025718Steps are a good way to conserve space. I didn't wish to take up half the space in this run with a ramp long enough to access the three foot high pop hole. I used 1" x 4" lumber and metal shelf brackets. There's no limit to how many steps you can have with this plan.

Not visible are the metal shelf brackets on the underside of the top step that attaches to the vertical back of the second step. I other words, if I wanted to add a third step, I would attach a shelf bracket to the horizontal underside of the second step and then attach it to the vertical back of the third step. The undersides of the steps are the flip side of the tops of the steps.
that’s really cool and I think that is going to be the most efficient way. I’ll show this to my husband so we can replicate. Thank you so much for taking the time to help!

Chicken door to our coop is approx. 4ft high, we just use a simple ramp made from a 2"x10"x8' with 1x2 rungs spaced about 6" apart. It's a bit steep due to only being an 8ft board and our sloped terrain/coop design, but none of our chickens have issues with it once I added more rungs to ramp (was about 1ft rung spacing and feet were sliding on heavy chickens)

I was originally going to do the bottomless stairs like post#7, but I figured any new pullets wouldn't be able to use that system, also our fat cochins at the time were lazy and didn't like to jump up more than like 18".

Planning to get more chicks this year and have to come up with something for them to get up/down as I think the ramp is too steep for them - might temporarily flank ramp sides with fence boards so they don't fall off the side.

Back
Top Bottom