1. JacksHomestead

JacksHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2015
    Huntsville AL,
    In my coop if have a Ramp to get to the roosting area, i made a second level where the roosting bar is (2x4) that will hold sweet PDZ and sand mixture, allowing easy clean up. My question is will they use the ramp to get up or just try to fly up? I have a wood border around the upper level to hold in the PDZ and sand. I will put wood on the ramp so they can walk up easier, how thick should that would be and how far should i space them, to make it easy for them to get up?
    Thanks, Jackshomestead! [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    It all depends on how high the roosts are, how far apart they are, and how much room they have inside the coop to spread their wings. For most small coops, a ramp just takes up space. Most chickens can easily jump 3 feet, but if they can't extend their wings, they won't.

3. ChickenMammX4

ChickenMammX4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2015
    SW Ohio
    The roost and poop board in our coop is probably about 48" from the floor. There is a ramp and they use it most of the time. Our chickens are large and other than flying up/down if something scares them, they prefer using the ramp.

4. bigt447

bigt447 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2015
    I use 1 inch wide,1/4 inch thick strips nailed to ramp about 6 inches apart. My coop is also 48 inches off the ground. My ramp is 10 ft long for a gradual incline. Works great.

5. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016
  6. JacksHomestead

JacksHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2015
    Huntsville AL,
    thanks for the help, it is less than 3ft so if they dont want to use it they can just fly.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    The hard part is can they get down without flying into something.
    My roost boards are 2 feet wide and 3' high, but coop is only 6' wide so needed a ramp,
    some jump/fly, some waddle down ramp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by