Ramp Steepness

lindseyawest

Chirping
Apr 25, 2015
Northern California
My Coop
My Coop
Hey all, I'm planning on using a 2x6 to create a ramp with 1x2 strips perpendicular up and down the ramp (not sure if I'm explaining it right, but a very standard ramp from what I've seen of other coops). My question, though, is how steep can that ramp be? The coop is basically a square and the run is a rectangle, but with the wind directions and sun direction, the best place for the coop is basically against one of the long walls, so I don't have a lot of space in front of the coop for the ramp (woops). It should be sufficient, but I'd like to see if I can give them more space and not run the ramp directly to the fence. The top of the ramp will be about 2 3/4 feet off the ground, so I'm trying to figure out how short I can get away with making the ramp...

I am also interested in this. My coop is 2 feet off the ground. I also would like it to be as short as possible.

I am inclined to believe that they will manage no matter how steep it is (within reason). They can fly after all!

No. Imagine it as a right triangle. You can solve for any side by using the formula a^2+b^2=c^2 where a=the height to the bottom of the door, b=the length on the ground from the door to the end of the ramp, and c=the length of the ramp. For a 45 degree incline a and b would be equal.

Last edited:
The ramp would represent the hypotenuse of a right triangle that is 2.5 ft. on each side. The ramp needs to be 3.5 ft. long.

Haha, thanks all. More sleep needed - wasn't even thinking about right triangles and didn't understand that you meant the bottom of the triangle; that makes much more sense, though. And thank you redsix for saving me the task of whipping out my calculator.

Back
Top Bottom