RAMP TOO STEEP FOR SENIOR ROOSTER-NEED HELP!

Prednisolone is a steroid w/ anti inflamatory properties. Good chance it will make him feel better. Best wishes...:fl

ETA Do I understand correctly that due to his feral nature picking him up to put him in at night is not an option? How are you administering his meds?

Bless you for thinking of your aging patriarch. Extending the ramp so it is more level will definitely help, but don't forget to add something on top to increase surface traction. He might also appreciate a wider ramp. You can even add rails to the side to aid in his balance. Make sure your old-timer's nails are in good shape and evaluate the length of his spurs. The drug you are given him is designed to make him feel better but it does come with side effects such as diarrhea, loss of appetite, and loss of balance. If he's wobbly call your vet and see if he/she wants to adjust the dose. Dealing with a rooster like this reminds me of zoo medicine. In such a case you must treat the patient without stressing him with handling. The decision must be made on the type of medicine, how to change the environment, and when to stop treatment.

Good luck! I hope he does well for you.

Your location not known and could be important. Show picture of his whole body from the side. Used for breeding in his past should not be a problem so assertion is a problem concerns me.

Give him an alternative roost that it ground level outside the coop. Make the roost site so it is protected from direct precipitation. It need not more than a small step above the surrounding area so he is up above wet ground at night.

Check his weight as well. Sometimes a little less weight good but would require him being kept separate to enable rationing his intake.

he reaches 3-4 strips to the top, he tries to run or fly in and he stumbles

Extending your ramp so it is twice the length of the drop from the floor to the ground will give you a 6/12 - 26.57º pitch and a gentler slop also placing a block at the ground end of the ramp that your rooster can manage will also lessen the slop.

Last edited:
@aart - Ideas for a senior chicken ramp?
Modifying ramp as already suggested (longer, so less steep-wider-maybe with sides) is the best option considering situation. Also add cleats between each existing one.

Wonders if he's been eating layer feed all his life, thinking gout from excess calcium.
Prednisone can be scary stuff, hope your vet has avian experience.

it would definitely make sense that perhaps at one point he wound up fracturing a bone, and it could now have manifested as arthritis.. Tough little rooster to have lived through all that!
This picture was taken 6 years ago when he was freer. Now I have yet to figure out what breed he is.
IMG_1370.JPG
IMG_1370.JPG

Back
Top Bottom