RAMP TOO STEEP FOR SENIOR ROOSTER-NEED HELP!

Prednisolone is a steroid w/ anti inflamatory properties. Good chance it will make him feel better. Best wishes...:fl

ETA Do I understand correctly that due to his feral nature picking him up to put him in at night is not an option? How are you administering his meds?

He was feral and only within the last 5 years we've decided to catch him and used our unused dog kennel for he and his other mate (that have passed). To not stress him out, while sleeping in the coop, we are able to put him into a crate. In the morning we administer his meds and put him back into the pen. It's way easier this way than to try and catch him during the day. I don't want to hurt him anymore.

He appears to be a pyle colored American Game which is one of the loosely defined fighting breeds. Based on his comb he was not used for such. Based on feathering, conditions he was kept under prior to picture above where not optimal. Getting such roosters to reach advanced age is not difficult although nutrition needs to be treated differently than what is done with production and even most most backyard keeping.

I have thought about changing my aging ladder ramp by putting down several heights of tree stumps, say 3-4 each being about 6-8 inches higher than the last. They seem to be able to hop a little. I have a 6 year old that is having leg problems as well.

Bless you for thinking of your aging patriarch. Extending the ramp so it is more level will definitely help, but don't forget to add something on top to increase surface traction. He might also appreciate a wider ramp. You can even add rails to the side to aid in his balance. Make sure your old-timer's nails are in good shape and evaluate the length of his spurs. The drug you are given him is designed to make him feel better but it does come with side effects such as diarrhea, loss of appetite, and loss of balance. If he's wobbly call your vet and see if he/she wants to adjust the dose. Dealing with a rooster like this reminds me of zoo medicine. In such a case you must treat the patient without stressing him with handling. The decision must be made on the type of medicine, how to change the environment, and when to stop treatment.

Good luck! I hope he does well for you.

I'm so proud of this boy. He's been through so much and have always returned to our place at the end of the day. But when we took him on as a pet (sort of), I didn't know how to care for him until he started showing signs. We trimmed back his spurs just a little only after noticing his falling down thinking his spurs were part of the problem and the vet just recently trimmed his nails. How much wider would you suggest I make the ramp and what kind of rails? He struggles going up the ramp and when coming down, he jumps half way down. I don't know if that's good for his legs. Luckily the ground below is soft dirt.
I'll call the vet regarding the dose. TU. Currently he's taking .25mg/day. So far no diarrhea and he has a good appetite.

This guy who suggested putting a block under the foot of the ramp has got it. You might even stack two blocks under the foot and put one block directly in front of the foot so he has a little step up. This was done to my coop ramp to accommodate the stumpier legged chickens that couldn't do inclines so well and it works great.
Extending your ramp so it is twice the length of the drop from the floor to the ground will give you a 6/12 - 26.57º pitch and a gentler slop also placing a block at the ground end of the ramp that your rooster can manage will also lessen the slop.

He appears to be a pyle colored American Game which is one of the loosely defined fighting breeds. Based on his comb he was not used for such. Based on feathering, conditions he was kept under prior to picture above where not optimal. Getting such roosters to reach advanced age is not difficult although nutrition needs to be treated differently than what is done with production and even most most backyard keeping.

Yes, many roosters here are used for such. He must have escaped and wandered onto our property. He came with an older rooster, a Rhode Island Red. We go to our local farm store and over the years learned about types of feed. There's a mix of some corn (not a whole lot), lots of seeds including sunflower seeds, calcium, and others (can't remember). It's the best type we have here. Aside from that, I also throw in bananas, tomatoes, and grass clippings - when available.

Yes, many roosters here are used for such. He must have escaped and wandered onto our property. He came with an older rooster, a Rhode Island Red. We go to our local farm store and over the years learned about types of feed. There's a mix of some corn (not a whole lot), lots of seeds including sunflower seeds, calcium, and others (can't remember). It's the best type we have here. Aside from that, I also throw in bananas, tomatoes, and grass clippings - when available.

He was not.

I have thought about changing my aging ladder ramp by putting down several heights of tree stumps, say 3-4 each being about 6-8 inches higher than the last. They seem to be able to hop a little. I have a 6 year old that is having leg problems as well.

Wow, tree stumps - how unique. My Kingy will not be able to jump as he doesn't hop or fly up on a pole anymore much less try to grip or curl his toes.
Hope your 6 yr old recovers.

Back
Top Bottom